• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Connecting two filters via Y joint

Loobeyloo

Seedling
hi
I have two filters (APS and jebao)that are flowing back into the tank via two separate spray bars and I wish to join them together via a Y joint in the pipes, so I am only using one spray bar. Can this work well?

many thanks

Hi. I tried this with a powerhead and a canister filter. Powerhead & filter both rated at 2000lph.
A spraybar was fitted on the canister filter, so I had a similar idea as you do. Instead of a Y connector I used a T connector.

Unfortunately, the result was that the flow from the filter pushed water back into the powerhead so the flow was worse than only having the filter on the spray bar. This could have resulted in burning the power head motor.
23r65ol.jpg

I don't know if a Y connector will be better since the two flows will not be perpendicular to each other and maybe they won't cancel out with this setup.
If you already purchased the hardware, it may be a good thing to try out and confirm your idea with a Y connector. Mind you if you are using a Y connector to plunge into the spray bar (lower diameter) the flow will be decreased dramatically. I had to try it to see it myself.

Or maybe, if it is an option, try fitting the filters on each site of the spray bar instead.

Please, let us know if you go ahead with this one and how it turns out.

Place the Y joint as close to the spray bar as you can, should give you less issues.

You cannot do it, people have tried before joining two outputs and ended in disaster. If one filter stops say during maintenance or gets clogged then the other filter pushes water backwards through the second one emptying dirt into the tank promptly killing everything in the tank.

So two spray bars, two inlets for two filters I am afraid.

You cannot do it, people have tried before joining two outputs and ended in disaster. If one filter stops say during maintenance or gets clogged then the other filter pushes water backwards through the second one emptying dirt into the tank promptly killing everything in the tank.

So two spray bars, two inlets for two filters I am afraid.

Couldn't you just stick a non-return on each outlet before they join?

I still don't see the point though, because you'll simply need a fatter spraybar, and the likelihood is that one filter will overpower the other.

I do thinks its possible althoought Im not 100% sure. I think they should be similar power as Rahms says. There also has to be very little backpeassure in the spraybar. So its a few things to get it right. Also youD have to switch them on/off at the same time.

Hi guys thanks for all the comments,
I understand what everyone is saying.
What about if I don't use a spray bar and just have the return going to to the tank would this work?
I am not to fussed about decreasing the flow (unless it brakes the filter or kills everything) as I have an external pump.

Hi guys thanks for all the comments,
I understand what everyone is saying.
What about if I don't use a spray bar and just have the return going to to the tank would this work?
I am not to fussed about decreasing the flow (unless it brakes the filter or kills everything) as I have an external pump.

It would be easier, but still have a lot of the same problems, in that flow could be reduced, you'd need non-returns, funny things may happen if you only run one pump etc. Foxfish's answer is the best: you basically have two separate spray bars connected end-to-end, so that it creates the illusion of having just one. Same appearance, none of the problems. You'd have to have a connection at each end, but if you make a mount out of PVC pipes it would look like that anyway

Back