• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

COuld you recommend me a snail? Requirements in thread text

Hi all,
I've got plenty of Planorbella duryi "Red" (Seminole Ramshorn Snail).

I like them, they do a great job of browsing off young BBA, but I only started with one.

The other problem is that they don't so very well in soft water, and all my larger ones are now white and extremely fragile shelled.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I've got plenty of Planorbella duryi "Red" (Seminole Ramshorn Snail).

I like them, they do a great job of browsing off young BBA, but I only started with one.

The other problem is that they don't so very well in soft water, and all my larger ones are now white and extremely fragile shelled.

cheers Darrel

Are they available for purchase?

Hi all,
Are they available for purchase?
PM me your address and I'll post some. It will be £4 to cover postage. If you want any floaters etc. I can put them in the package as well.
Would a piece of cuttlebone hidden somewhere in the tank 1) influence the water 2) be able to provide the snails with some calcium?
Cuttlebone or Oyster Shell Grit will raise dGH and dKH and it is the dietary calcium that the snails need to build their shell, so it helps with shell formation at the mantle edge.

The problem comes in the older shell whorls, where calcium carbonate isn't being actively laid down. There is an explanation here: <"Seeking advice........">.

Any snails from hard, or brackish (sea water is alkaline and calcium rich), water will die fairly quickly in soft water, as they've evolved in an environment where calcium and carbonates are always available. In Europe there have attempts to use changes in the assemblage of Fresh-water Mussels as an index of acidification (from "acid rain").

cheers Darrel

Back