• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Covering coconut with aquasoil: mesh practicalities and safety?

Sylrae

Hello,

I've been brainstorming ideas for how to affix aquasoil to a coconut hide to retain a dome shape for a hobbit hole.

It is my understanding that some sort of wireframe cage is used in the viral shire aquascapes, but without photos of this process or my own experience, I'm struggling with how to replicate. Also, I'm fairly sure they use moss instead of carpeting plants, but I could be wrong. My ideas so far:

1. Nylon mesh: fill with aquasoil, wrap around coconut and silicone the edges of the mesh inside the coconut to hold the aquasoil in place. Can possibly use cut up filter media bags, nylon tights or hair nets?

2. Plastic canvas: attempt to construct dome shape from plastic canvas, sandwich aquasoil between canvas and coconut hide.

3. Steel mesh: as above, attempt to craft steel mesh dome... somehow?

4. Use a deep plastic saucer under coconut to provide a "lip" that holds aquasoil slope in place? This would not keep aquasoil on the rounded top part but may help hold the slope at the bottom? Maybe combine this with another option?

I feel like the fabric option will be the easiest, but I have no idea if it will hold tight enough to the round coconut hide to hold the soil in place, or if all the aquasoil will just fall down the sides/sink to the bottom of the coconut (or worse, just leak through the mesh holes). I am also concerned whether having nylon mesh exposed in the aquarium will create any safety issues for fish or shrimp.

My goal is to have a carpeting plant cover the coconut dome and the substrate below to make one large grassy dome/hill. Plant will likely be monte carlo or similar low tech beginner friendly carpeting plant (no plans for co2 at present so HC/dwarf baby tears are out).

Alternatively -
5. Scrap the aquasoil dome idea, use moss directly attached to coconut instead of a carpeting plant. (Would prefer to avoid this if possible!) I don't think any of the mosses will provide the same lush/grassy aesthetic as a carpeting plant - happy to be educated otherwise from those with more experience!

Any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms greatly appreciated.

Syl

Hi all,
I've been brainstorming ideas for how to affix aquasoil to a coconut hide to retain a dome shape for a hobbit hole.
Scrap the aquasoil dome idea, use moss directly attached to coconut instead of a carpeting plant
You can <"use superglue"> and stick <"moss and Java Fern (etc) to the top">. I've <"prepared plenty"> in the past. You need a <"moss that attaches">, if you use Java Moss (<"Taxiphyllum barbieri">) you will get a quick covering, but other mosses may be better in the long run.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

You can <"use superglue"> and stick <"moss and Java Fern (etc) to the top">. I've <"prepared plenty"> in the past. You need a <"moss that attaches">, if you use Java Moss (<"Taxiphyllum barbieri">) you will get a quick covering, but other mosses may be better in the long run.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel. This is the technique I will use with moss if I am unable to find a way to make the aquasoil carpet idea work :) but ideally I'd really like to figure out a way to hold the aquasoil in place because I think a carpet would be much more aesthetically pleasing than moss.

Best wishes,
Syl

Back