• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dark start

Rasborakel

Hi all, I am four days into a dark start on my first aqua scape. I have a 55L Dennerle tank,Tropica aqua soil with one piece of azalea wood and stone etc. Oase filtosmart 100 running with the thermo turned to 23. I have blocked three sides including top. My tank is in a front room with large bay window south facing. Tank on back wall in relation to window which has blinds. Any thoughts advice would be welcome

Hello, I would say: darkest is best. So, if you can block all sides, it is better :) . Pieces of cardboard everywhere, and go for 5-6 weeks :)
Better also to generate large movements on the water surface to enhance oxygen dissolution, you can do that with the filter exhaust, placing it close to the surface or even better above the surface.

Good luck :)

Although it is purely guessing, I don't think that it is actually important for a dark start to be completely dark. You just don't want to trigger algae explosions during the turbulence of the first weeks in a tank. In my limited experience with dark starts, abundant ambient light was never enough to trigger any visible algae in my tanks.

And it seems possible to me that microscopical, non visible and non dominant algae are an important part of the microbe assemblage, and it is positive to have them competing for their fare share of space. The more variety, the better, is what is said.

This is completely different than what a blackout is, referring to the strategy to wipe out algae in running tanks. When trying to kill well established algae as soon as possible, so as to not hurt the plants for too long, I think it is important to go pitch black.

Oh, and I also believe and put in practice the suggestion of massively increasing aeration of the tank during the dark start, with strong currents and great surface agitation.

Doubling down on the dissolved oxygen.

Also if you can get some gunk or some media from an already running filter to put inside yours it would be top notch !

Ambient light dose not matter. But try to keep it dark as possible and do atleast 3 weeks then test for ammonia nitrites and nitrates

Thanks everyone. I have turned outflow so as to agitate surface. Fascinating this stuff.

Back