• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diy co2

jmh474

Seedling
So im looking at putting some co2 in my tank, but want to do it on the cheap.
Iv been looking about for cheap ideas and came across this on ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360566708694?redirect=mobile

(or any other ideas on cheap co2 would be grate)

Ok so im guessing some of you are going to say why not get this or that but iv not got £100 or so to blow on co2 lol, iv looked into the yeast but from what i read its not to be trusted, but the critic acid and baking soda is a little more trusted and you have more control over the input.

Iv looked at a few videos on YouTube and it looks quiet promising.
Has any one else used this or have more information on the product.
Thanks

1. Not cheap in the end. Many people get 2Kg of CO2 in a fire extinguisher for £10, 1Kg of ingredients, 1Kg citric acid and 1Kg of baking soda (which will certainly generate much much less than 1Kg of CO2) will cost £10. How long will these last ????
2. Very very high maintenance, in fact daily if you want to even attempt to have a go at constant CO2 levels.
3. Very hard to control and get repeatable CO2 rates.
4. Variable CO2 levels, will cause plant issues and algae.
5. CO2 on 24/7, so you are instantly wasting at least 50% of your expensive ingredients.
6. CO2 on 24/7 so possibility of gassing your fish.

May I suggest you wait a bit and save up and do it correctly with maintenance free and cheaper pressurised CO2.

For DIY you don't need any of that really, just the bottle caps (I think I saw them linked for ~£2 before), some CO2 line and a diffuser. I agree with the above post, but if you don't have the money then I'd probably go the liquid carbon route rather than play with DIY. Depends on the size of your tank really... How big is it?

2kg FE - £10
Half decent 2nd hand regulator £20-£30
Drop checker, bubble counter, Co2 pipe & diffuser £10-£15
Timer £5

Don't think I've missed anything, total around £45 ish

Whatever you're planning to spend on the DIY setup just save it, throw some more into the pot next month. Good things come to those who wait ;):D

Back