• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing Excel with Mosses and Vals

Aqua Hero

I've seen some mixed opinions on whether I can use excel with moss but more specifically Vallisnera sp.

Is it okay to use with these plants or not?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I've seen some mixed opinions on whether I can use excel with moss but more specifically Vallisnera sp.
The problem is that they don't have stomata and they take nutrients (and oxidising agents) directly through the "skin" (cuticle). This makes them much more prone to damage from <"oxidising agents"> (like glutaraldehyde).

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I've found that Hydropogonella gymnostoma (Queen moss) does not like being hit directly with glutaraldehyde. Diluted in water column is okay though. The various other mosses I have don't seem to be bothered.

Vallisnera sp completely melted with me when I applied Excel to my low tech tank. I tried about 3 times, all with the same result.
Now, I have the large vallisneria gigantea growing beautifully, but not a single DROP of Excel anywhere near my tank!
(Yes, glass need a good clean, I know...)
IMG_7651.jpg

Had the same issue also in the past. Vallisneria bush didnt like it and melted like butter in the sun.

Thank you for your responses. I'll hold off on the excel then. My Vallisneria nana is still looking good so I don't want to ruin it.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Hi all,

The problem is that they don't have stomata and they take nutrients (and oxidising agents) directly through the "skin" (cuticle). This makes them much more prone to damage from <"oxidising agents"> (like glutaraldehyde).

cheers Darrel
That isn’t the reason why Vals are vulnerable to Glut. All hydrophytes have no stomata or functional stomata in the submerged parts. Those that develop floating or emerged leaves have stomata in the emerged parts.

Back