• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Eden

I’ve been giving the tank the opportunity to enjoy some morning sun whilst it’s not so strong, everything can benefit from a bit of natural light.
Some pictures this morning. Not everything is fully awake yet.

IMG_6918.jpeg

IMG_6920.jpeg

IMG_6921.jpeg

Any updates?
Yes. I’ve actually made some big changes.

I’ve swapped the tank for a Waterbox AIO. It just makes life easier having quick access to the sump.

I’ve added more rock and scaped the tank into a rock wall. This is proving to be a great background for the fish.

Two black and white clownfish were added several weeks ago and have settled in really well.

I’ll add some pics when the lights aren’t dimming down and stuff is fully open.

Yes. I’ve actually made some big changes.

I’ve swapped the tank for a Waterbox AIO. It just makes life easier having quick access to the sump.

I’ve added more rock and scaped the tank into a rock wall. This is proving to be a great background for the fish.

Two black and white clownfish were added several weeks ago and have settled in really well.

I’ll add some pics when the lights aren’t dimming down and stuff is fully open.
Thus post is worthless without photos! 😝😝😝😁

Beautiful tank, clean and minimalist style, Chromis retrofasciata are interesting fish, have you noticed any type of aggression between them? What is its behavior inside the tank?

Beautiful tank, clean and minimalist style, Chromis retrofasciata are interesting fish, have you noticed any type of aggression between them? What is its behavior inside the tank?
I started out with a group of 6 and the largest has slowly killed the others off leaving me with three. They seem happier with these numbers.
I’m hoping the clownfish offer some distraction from on another.

So it’s been a while since I’ve updated on the reef tank, and that’s because not much has happened really.
I’ve pretty much left it alone aside from weekly maintenance and the tank is running smoothly.
But with everything good in a reef tank comes something not so good.

I noticed some corals had flatworms. To the eye these almost appear like little brown freckles that harass and annoy corals. If left unchecked they will take over. So I employed the help of a little fish whose soon become the family favourite.

She’s a little silver belly wrasse with some fascinating behaviour. They sleep buried in the sandbed and quickly burrow when spooked. She spent around 2-3 days in the sand before coming out to explore.

I’ve also noticed some aiptasia, a nuisance anemone that pack a sting and attack surrounding corals.
I plan to add something that likes eating aiptasia, but haven’t fully decided yet.

I’ve added a video of my current favourite coral too, an Alveopora aka “flower pot coral” it’s settled into the tank really well and has been a pleasure to watch.

Attachments

• IMG_7253.jpeg
    IMG_7253.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
So it’s been a while since I’ve updated on the reef tank, and that’s because not much has happened really.
I’ve pretty much left it alone aside from weekly maintenance and the tank is running smoothly.
But with everything good in a reef tank comes something not so good.

I noticed some corals had flatworms. To the eye these almost appear like little brown freckles that harass and annoy corals. If left unchecked they will take over. So I employed the help of a little fish whose soon become the family favourite.

She’s a little silver belly wrasse with some fascinating behaviour. They sleep buried in the sandbed and quickly burrow when spooked. She spent around 2-3 days in the sand before coming out to explore.

I’ve also noticed some aiptasia, a nuisance anemone that pack a sting and attack surrounding corals.
I plan to add something that likes eating aiptasia, but haven’t fully decided yet.

I’ve added a video of my current favourite coral too, an Alveopora aka “flower pot coral” it’s settled into the tank really well and has been a pleasure to watch.

From what I've read, peppermint shrimps, nudibranchs, filefish and copperband wrasse eat aphasia. Peps are hit or miss. Nudis eat it for sure, but will starve after it's gone, so they have to be removed from the tank.
Another option is to use Aphasia X or "death juice", which is a DIY chemical solution, quite popular on the UR forum.

Edit: Copperband butterfly (not wrasse)

Last edited:
From what I've read, peppermint shrimps, nudibranchs, filefish and copperband wrasse eat aphasia. Peps are hit or miss. Nudis eat it for sure, but will starve after it's gone, so they have to be removed from the tank.
Another option is to use Aphasia X or "death juice", which is a DIY chemical solution, quite popular on the UR forum.
Yeah I’ll either superglue over them which will kill them or add something like a Molly Miller Blenny.
Only reason I’ve yet to decide is because I only have two in there. So it’s not overly worrying me yet.

Yeah I’ll either superglue over them which will kill them or add something like a Molly Miller Blenny.
Only reason I’ve yet to decide is because I only have two in there. So it’s not overly worrying me yet.
Keep an eye on them. They can spread really fast if you're feeding heavily.
Btw, do you dip your corals?

if you're feeding heavily.
Btw, do you dip your corals?
I think that why they haven’t, as I don’t feed heavily. I spot feed the fish once a day.

Nope. I don’t dip, I’m not overly concerned about anything that will enter my tank.
It’s all part of the reef environment good or bad.
I can always take measure to control and remove stuff later.

I think that why they haven’t, as I don’t feed heavily. I spot feed the fish once a day.

Nope. I don’t dip, I’m not overly concerned about anything that will enter my tank.
It’s all part of the reef environment good or bad.
I can always take measure to control and remove stuff later.
That's bliss! I wish I was so carefree. My work is quite demanding and I don't have much time to spare, so I'm constrained to take a prophylactic, than a therapeutic approach.
Btw, this thread is worthless without photos 😝

That's bliss! I wish I was so carefree. My work is quite demanding and I don't have much time to spare, so I'm constrained to take a prophylactic, than a therapeutic approach.
Btw, this thread is worthless without photos 😝
I’m awful at taking pictures, hence the lack of.
I will try this week.

My carefree approach is what’s created the tanks success I’d say. I’ve always been one to tinker, and I’d mess about too much.
This tank has for the most part been set and forget.

Back