• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filter media 11

im hearing a lot of stuff about the aps dropping flow once filled with media, obviously I won't be using any white filter fluffy stuff, also the ef2000 is 55w

Guess I'll go for 2x1400ef and not use a lot of media, use 45/ bends and acrylic piping for plumbing, should be a better option then using the flexy stuff

Will the clamps in the filter hold acrylic tubing, does anyone know?

I have 2 external filters on my tank both half filled with pot scrubbies and I so no issues what so ever with biological filtration. In fact if I were to do it again, my second filter would be an external pump conected to my CO2 reactor and inline heater that would provide no biological filtration at all and wouldn't be impeded by ceramic rings, sponges etc.

I think my biological load is quite high as I have many species including 8 discus in my 350 litre and I still believe that I could get away with less filtration (but not flow/distribution).

Bridgo.

Hey bridgo

I think there is no really wrong way of doing something, there just common sence. A lot of people do differant things on here with external fikters, like you I have decided the 2x external route is a better option, and I think I'm looking to stock a lot heavyier I don't know about discuss so can't comment on how ever your stocking is.
Here is mine and the family's planned stocking list if you guys could give your opinions i wether it's to much for two externals heavy planted and daily 10% water. And the leopard danios will be grouped maybe 4-6
image.jpg

lol at the open tab beginner water parameters I forgot witch way around nitrates and nitrites were
What I also want to know, is whether you guys think the 2x2000ef would be a better option given the stocking list, I didn't want to open another thread to ask, and I suppose it's filter related

Cheers for all the answers guys

Ghosty

Let me think what I have in my tank.

8 discus - 2 very large - 6 medium.
Around 40+ cardinal tetra.
15 oto's.
8 skunk corydoras.
15+ amano shrimp.
1 male ram - he chased the other 2 females to death.
10+ assassin snails.
3 Medium sized siamese flying foxes.

The dicus get fed 2-3 times a day. If it wasn't for them, the remaining fish would only get fed once a day.

James at The Green Machine told me that you only have to many fish if your tank looks too busy. I believe it's very dependant on your equipment, water quality and house keeping etc.

I'm no expert but my advice would be to build your stock slowly and watch your tank - it will tell you when enough is enough. Also you need to factor in the adult size of stock. Most of your list wouldn't add much to the bio load I wouldn't imagine.

Bridgo.

One thing that I overlooked obout your list is that some are live bearers which could increase your stock substantially.

I also done thing my list is to much at all, even at adult size, the tank will have lots of hiding places and plants,

I want it busy for my 3yr old, and I have adhhd and would just get bored of it I kess it was exciting,
As for livebearers what fry survive get taken to lfs, or given to members on here, I have no need for them.

I will add list slow, and watch water parameters, I think I could add more tbh, but that will be single spcies

Have you thought about going for really active small fish? That way you could decrease quantities and it would still look busy and very active fish love a good current :thumbup: win, win.

That list is a mixture, the Galaxy rasbora are like an inch full grown, same as the neons, leopards get maybe 2 inch
Gouarmis a little bit of bigger,
Might add some otos, and maybe a few single species, but I think its a very good amount of sizes and colours, some will say to much blah blah, but I think with daily 10% change and good filtration and plenty of plants and hiding places, caves, hopefully be a good tank

Galaxy's and neon tetra both school, but the galaxy's not so much I think

Back