• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filter positioning

andy-mu

Hi

Just wanted to ask a question about the above.

I have an external filter and in setting it up wanted to leak test the system prior to fitting in place behind my fish tank. Was worthwhile since some of the fittings needed adjusted to prevent leaks I had. On sorting the leaks I placed my intake into the container of water I had and when trying to prime the filter it doesnt seem to fill properly to get rid of the air gaps. Granted there are coils of tubing since I haven't cut these to size yet, and my water container is at the same level as the filter. My plan had been to mount the filter behing my fish tank level with it.

Should this work OK or does it have to be below the tank to work? If it should work, do you think it could be the way the tubing is coiled thats preventing it priming.

I am new to external filters never having had one and have a reactor to connect to to achieve ideally the results I see on here. Unfortunately have seemed to fall at the first hurdle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi all,
and my water container is at the same level as the filter. My plan had been to mount the filter behing my fish tank level with it.
You need some height difference, or you will find that the filter won't fill properly under gravity and cavitation by the impeller will create air bubbles making the filter noisy. You don't need very much height of head, about 5cm is the minimum, particularly for filters like Eheim Classics which have the inlet hose at the bottom. Can you stand the tank on a raised mat? I usually put my tanks on a thick polystyrene block, this has 3 advantages, it protects the bottom of the tank, provides insulation and if you stand the filter on the work top/bench/desk rather than the polystyrene it gives you some height differential between the tank and filter.

Eheim says "The upper edge of the pump head should be at least 10 cm / 3,9" below the water surface; a position below the aquarium is preferable." http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=detailantwort_18351_ehen

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the reply Darrel.

Sorry for the late response. Things have been absolutely hectic for me recently.
I have at least 10cm, which looks good according to your post.

Many thanks

Andrew

I thought I might be OK with the filter positioning but it's noisy. Not as bad if positioned on the floor but still a bit of a hum. Eheim classics report quiet operation and as Darrel mentioned, with the intake at the base this will allow me to position behind my tank.

Eheim classic getting ordered.

Thanks again Darrel

Back