• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External Filter recommendations ?

The e1501 in UK is available from Charterhouse and Zooplus.

Remember, unlike some other filters in this price range it comes with media, so it really is wash media, plug it all in and away you go. :D

Zooplus are also available via Top Cashback, you get 5.05% (on ex VAT price) cashback.
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/zooplusmy-petshop/

I didn't realise this when I got my e1501.

kellyboy47 said:
Would I not be able to get away with the JBL E900 as its considerably cheaper and suitable for tanks up to 300l :?

Are you looking to buy new or used ? You can buy an e1500 from Ebay.de for 35 quid plus about 12 to 15 quid shipping ! Doesnt come much cheaper than that for a decent filter Trev. :thumbup:

Antipofish said:
Are you looking to buy new or used ? You can buy an e1500 from Ebay.de for 35 quid plus about 12 to 15 quid shipping ! Doesnt come much cheaper than that for a decent filter Trev. :thumbup:
Remember to factor in the fact that the e1500 uses £20 electricity per year more than the e1501.

ian_m said:
Antipofish said:
Remember to factor in the fact that the e1500 uses £20 electricity per year more than the e1501.

Assuming thats a factor and you dont mind the lower bill but at the price of a slightly lower flow rate. Its swings and roundabouts. You cannot get an e1501 for the same price of an e1500 as its a relatively new model. Second hand, its rare as Hen's teeth whereas everyone seems to be selling their e1500's to upgrade at the moment so they are rich for the picking. What you save in power you pay extra for the filter probably twofold, meaning it will take you a couple of years to recoup that energy saving. Of course that pays itself back over time if you keep the filter long term :thumbup:

Unfortunately there are 2 on offer one of which is 'Buy it Now' but both state they will not post to UK :(

ian_m said:
Antipofish said:

kellyboy47 said:
Unfortunately there are 2 on offer one of which is 'Buy it Now' but both state they will not post to UK :(

ian_m said:
Antipofish said:

Keep looking they come up every day or so, I have seen at least 4 in the past week as I have "aussenfilter" set up on my notified listings. Also dont assume that just because it says Germany on the shipping section, that they will not send to you in the UK. 4 out of 5 of the people I ask are happy to, and it ranges between 20 to 30 euros. I have google translate set up on my browser toolbar so I just click on it and it translates the page (into very strictly translated English which can be very funny sometimes). Many German people speak English but my pigeon translation for "How much would shipping be to the UK" is "Guten Tag! Wieviel kostet versand nach Grossbritanien bitte ?" No doubt my German teacher from schooldays would have put me in detention for such a poorly structured sentence. If you ask you can only get a yes or a no. If you need to know what their reply is, ask me or do a translate search. They are free on the net and you cut and paste their reply into one box, click on "translate" and hey presto you can see what they said ;)

Good luck.

I have a "technically" overloaded tank as well. (mate gave me his fish when he moved house) I use a Fluval FX5 I paid £200 for it. I also use Alfagrog and have no measurable readings in my tank. (even nitrate-read my other posts). you can buy a 15KG bag of Alfagrog on ebay for £17.95 inc postage. maybe lower your lighting a bit and check how much calcium carbonate is in the water as bacteria need it. also Golden loaches are great at cleaning my tank. Have a look at the "Fritzzyme". http://www.fritzzyme.com/resources/
I found this to be the best info on keeping a biological system running.

I'll second Ed's opinion on the APS externals. Currently running a 2000ef on a 180 ltr tank and for the £ 60 I paid it is superb. Yes it may feel cheap to the likes of the bigger brands but its got all the media included and it gives one hell of a flow rate. Only draw back is the filter hose size. Mine came with 25/21mm so it wasnt possible to attach anything inline so am running my old Fluval 205 for this and the APS alongside.

Markmark said:
I'll second Ed's opinion on the APS externals. Currently running a 2000ef on a 180 ltr tank and for the £ 60 I paid it is superb. Yes it may feel cheap to the likes of the bigger brands but its got all the media included and it gives one hell of a flow rate. Only draw back is the filter hose size. Mine came with 25/21mm so it wasnt possible to attach anything inline so am running my old Fluval 205 for this and the APS alongside.

I was thinking I was the only person who could read my post for a while!!! For the tubing you can get fittings from horticulture suppliers that will fit and allow you to step down to smaller pipe; I just haven't played around yet to find which ones will fit tightly.

Back