• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Film on top of water

Tomo

Hello everyone,

I have noticed recently a film on the water in my tank. It looks almost like petrol on water, but it obviously isn't!

I did have some floating water lettuce and at first I thought perhaps these plants were causing this film so I removed them and did a 50% water change. By the next day, the film had returned.

My tank in 60 litres, with a Fluval U2 filter and also a Hagen mini elite filter to help with water movement in the tank. In the tank I currently have an Amazon sword, Crypt, Cabomba and Hydrophila. The water itself is crystal clear, and I have a very small amount of algae.

Does anyone know what the film on the top of the water might be? It is totally spoiling the view of the tank from above.

Thanks

Tomo :)

Hi,
Ironically, this film is composed of the origin of all petrol. This is why it's called fossil fuel. The fossils were formed when aquatic plants (and animals) died and sank to the bottom of the ocean where they were later covered by sand and rock, subject to massive pressures. These pressures and heat caused the breakdown of the components of the original plant, which is mostly made of Carbon, Nitrogen and Hydrogen. This is precisely why fossil fuels are called hydrocarbons. Plants are therefore the origin of coal and crude oil.

Check this thread for more details of your petrol: Surface Scum - Keeps Coming Back

Cheers,

Ok thanks for the info,i'll try the threads. :)

Back