• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First time aquascape

Looking great and plants look like they are growing really well. Are you adding co2 or are you using liquid carbon?

No CO2 or liquid carbon now though I did use liquid carbon in the transition from emersed and added a bit of feedthen but stopped that about 3 weeks back. I have a relatively large surface area to tank volume and a soil base so figure they may not be needed - time will tell.

Thanks for the prompt. Both tanks are doing fine with minimal maintenance, too little really as the pogo is showing signs of legginess due to being overshadowed by the MM ditto the HC which has grown but really has not got the root system to hold in the cat litter so I will be removing that. I get green algae on the glass and some oiliness on the water surface but both are tolerable and easy enough to deal with. I am not fertilising at all and water changes are at least two weekly, I think that the relative shallowness of the tank offers a greater area for gas exchange so CO2 is a bit more available. The filters are proving adequate but do need a good clean each time. Still have 5 vietnamese mountain minnows and 4 cory hastatus plus loads of cherry shrimp. The other tank had a pair of honey gourami who bred twice but the female died recently. There is one survivor from the first batch which is now half the size of Dad not sure if others may be hiding in the moss and weed. No luck with hair grass that died and the other plants are less successful as I used peat rather than soil under the cat litter. Weeping moss has proved very successful xmas less so by comparison. I am a convert to "dirty" tanks but I think that gravel or silica sand would be better than cat litter. Photos follow:-
DSCN19711_zpswy6mi2cy.jpg
DSCN19701_zpshrfths1t.jpg

Back