• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish food

danny groocock

Seedling
Hello all,

Sorry if this doesn't fit I couldn't find anywhere where it made more sense but here we go. so I have a 120l nature aquarium stocked with 24 rasboras and planted with a carpet of staurogyne repens, hydrocotyle tripartita, echinodorus vesuvius and tenellus. Now recently after doing some trimming I broke some cuttings up in to tiny flake sized peaces and the fish happily fed on the pieces. So my question is, is it a good idea to use plant trimmings as food and is there a method to storing and preparing like drying and or freezing etc.

Thanks in advanced

This is rather fascinating... You may not want them to get used to the taste of plants though. They may start eating it themselves?

^ This

I don't encourage my fish to eat my plants ... my chocolate gouramis went from sampling a few M umbosum leafs to completely stripping the plant, not eating the leafs but tearing, tasting, spitting, then grabbing the next leaf or stem ... repeat ... repeat ... :wideyed:

They also decided that Didiplis diandra was also vastly improved with many fewer leafs :rolleyes:

Some of my fish (loaches and Siamese algae eaters) took to eating & trimming my HC and Glosso. The fish had to go as plants just ended up as rootless floaters or completely bald stalks.

There are recipes to find for diy fishfood containing garlic, unions, peas, parsly, bell peper etc. etc. and it's very healthy. After it is all blended together, that jelly also used for puddings and such is used to bind it.. Mix it, dry it, chop into little pellets and freeze it for safe keeping.. :) If you have trimmings from plants which fish eat, why not add this as well.. Cheap and healthy food supply.

Back