• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish room New Parosphromenus !

The male betta channoides, or mr betta as my little girl calls him, was posing today.
8901d5c4e38c1e5a4320b67f01bf0d4a.jpg

cabad6b1ea70846a712d0514f221d31d.jpg

ffdfe17dab1a4e40cfe6f3a86c9f667e.jpg

5d119a56b9513737649f37844b2abf29.jpg

The betta channoides fry are taking a long time to grow. They are about 1cm long now.

I had set up new tanks, for the adult betta channoides and liquorice gourami, with what I thought was inert coarse sand. Unfortunately it starting raising the ph within a few days and had gone from 4.7 to 6. All 3 tanks had to be emptied of sand so the bettas and gourami are sharing the one tank that had no substrate. Now all the tanks are bare bottom but with wood and java fern. Fish should be back in their separate tanks next week. A bit annoying as the young female betta had shown her breeding colours/stripes the next day after being put in the new set up. She soon lost them with the ph rise :(

I have had all sorts of problems with the betta splendens. The giant male never fed well after he arrived and died about 10 days later showing no sign of illness. I have lost 4 females to dropsy in the big 190l tank. Parameters seem fine, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all zero. Crystal shrimp breeding and fat little ottos. Apparently b. Splendens are extremely inbred so prone to bacterial infections. The remaining girls may end up back under the stairs in a bare bottom tank too. All of the b. Splendens have been treated with fluke solve for possible parasites and I've had to by antibiotics for fish for the first time

I have had all sorts of problems with the betta splendens. The giant male never fed well after he arrived and died about 10 days later showing no sign of illness. I have lost 4 females to dropsy in the big 190l tank. Parameters seem fine, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all zero. Crystal shrimp breeding and fat little ottos. Apparently b. Splendens are extremely inbred so prone to bacterial infections. The remaining girls may end up back under the stairs in a bare bottom tank too. All of the b. Splendens have been treated with fluke solve for possible parasites and I've had to by antibiotics for fish for the first time

Sorry to hear that! :(

Splendens are such lovely fish but do seem to be very fragile. I lost my male to dropsy after about 8 months.

Well i might not be having luck with betta splendens but my liquorice gourami have fry! Have removed the parents to increase chance of survival.
53c10f5276feb367716792e1e9af2da4.jpg

The tiny dots under the leaf are fry

The baby betta channoides have now been moved to 30l to grow on. I divided ghe adults 60l tank as i wasn't sure they actually enjoyed having all that open space.
7b79885b41bb830fa05850304cf671c7.jpg

Divided tank.

a05fe81da29d1741c5f260a4d5be4946.jpg

The juvenile has turned out to be female and is gojng a lovely rich orangey colour.

2a142aad3b98eaa86965af3b98f23e94.jpg

The babies seem to be enjoying hunting the bbs through wood and leaves.

They liquorice gourami fry are now in the hang on breeder box. I removed arojnd 10 from the parents tank. I'll take some pics when they become a little more than iridescent orange eyeballs.

Tomorrow i pick up some betta simplex

The paro fry are feeding well on bbs so fingers crossed they all survive!

Back