• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floating plants and surface agitation

Hi

I recently added some salvinia to my planted tank. Loving the look as the roots grow and it seems to be spreading well but, the flow from my JBL e1901 blows them to the other side of the tank. Bunching them up and Occasionally pushing some under water. I have decent surface aggitation but don't want to cause problems for the salvinia. The outflow is about 3 inches below the surface and creates a good circular flow via an open pipe so don't want to change position so my question

How important is surface agitation. I could lower the outflow more and stil keep good flow for co2 but may lose surface ripple. Is it better to just deal with the salvinia bunching a little? Surely heavy jungle scapes dont have much ripple?

Could reduce the height and add an air stone (or two depending on tank size) this will provide general but ample agitation and not impact on your flow at all.

I moved the filter outlet down about an inch and a half, with slightly less rippling but little difference in pushing the salvinia around. Caused a bit if headache for my sword and rotala at the back so moved it back.

I think removing the juwel internal would give s better circular flow as the outlet of the canister hits the box along the back but it's a new tank and do t want to invalidate my warranty.

It's good to know it can take a lot.

I have an overhead trickle, which basically gives a spray bar sitting 3/4" above the waterline and I still have no issue with floating plants. They do occasionally get bunched/pushed under, but usually only after I've been mucking about in the tank and upset the natural distribution. Salvina natans, red root floaters and amazon frogbit have all done fine. The speed of growth is faster than any loses to dunking.

From my experience, as long as you have enough floaters to create a barrier of plants that stay in the same place, you'll be fine.

I tried to put a handful of floating plants in a tank with very high flow and never succeeded until I added a bucket of them at the same time (it is a big tank). Now, they're taking over the surface and I have to remove some every week.

Back