• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Growing in the weeping tree

rolexbene

Growing in the weeping tree
Here is a little project that I just started, I am attempting to make a submerged tree out of an old dead bonsai tree, kust spent about an hour tying Weeping moss on to the little branches of the tree, the tree measures about 30cm tall and I currently have it sitting in a 60cm vase, whilst it grows in(or I can figure out what to do with it). Was possibly thinking of sticking a bit of flame moss on the top at a later date, so the weeping moss grows down and the flame moss grows up...any opinions?​

8292044228_3c7e9cc086_z.jpg

Looks nice, it's crying out to be in a decent sized bowl with some gravel.

Do you have to treat the wood I'm really tempted to buy a dead one of the cheap ones from tesco that's not looking to good.

I think it looks great, could possibly do with a bit of substrate on the bottom but I like it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I know it looks a bit bare in the oversized test tube, but like I said this is just a holding tank for it whilst I decide what to do with it, I am thinking of maybe putting it in my 50l optiwhite at some point as I it is currently empty due to a leak and needs a rescape.

Looks nice, it's crying out to be in a decent sized bowl with some gravel.

Do you have to treat the wood I'm really tempted to buy a dead one of the cheap ones from tesco that's not looking to good.

I havent treated the wood at all, just going to soak it for a few weeks whilst it grows in, hopefully there are no nasties on it, I just went and asked nicly at a local garden center and they gave me the Bonsai for free...Thoughts things are always dying from what I can see. I want to make a relatively low tek tank with this tree and some other mosses, as I havent got much free time on my hands at the moment. I will try and post some more updates when it fills out a bit or I make a tank with it.

You could keep it in that container but without the water & until the moss establishes, just leave 50mm of water in the bottom & cling film over the top & give it lots of light & warmth.

Yeah was thinking about that but wasn't sure if it would dry up or not, do you think it will make it grow faster due to more light and Co2...?

Yes I do think it will grow faster & without algae issues!
If the top is sealed then the humidity will be high, if you could stand in by your tank it could catch the light & warmth.
I always have some form of container on top of my tank growing something without water!

2b2eae1eaa2751d232f06c75d0d5daf4.jpg

Looks cool Benedikt ;) you should def try growing ut emmersed. Just with moss u would need to spray it a couple times a day and keep it tight with just a couple holes it something. :) will look cool when filled in mate

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back