• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help choose size of tank

Jaap

Hello,

I would like to give it another shot to succeed with an aquascape and would like to build a custom tank. What should the dimensions be if I have the following equipment?

External Fluval 1000L/h
Pressurized CO2 system
2 x 24W T5HO (I can remove one of the 24w and thus remain with 24w)

PS: will be using EI dosing 3 times macro 3 times micro, Azoo clay based substrate (or ADA amazonia if you strongly recommend it), Alternathera Reineckii as background and Staurogine Repens for carpeting (and maybe a few more other plants if needed).

What are the suggested dimensions for ease of use? Cube tank? Shallow tank? Optimal dimensions are more important than aesthetics in this case :)

Thanks

I think it all depends on which kind of tank you like to build eg. Iwagumi, Jungle or anything else.....but your filter and lights would suggest not to go bigger than 100 liter...
60x35x45 would be good to use....but if you go lower than 35 you could go either deeper or longer.
45x45x45 is cool too and very nice for some wood going all the way to the top and beyond....but the length of your lights would be a bit of a problem there....
so you need a tank that is 90 cm long ....90 x 30 high x 35 deep would be suitable in your case...again the lower you go, the deeper you can make your tank.
hope it's helpfull

Hi jaap, you could base it on the dimensions of the tmc signature 60x45x30 should be good with your filter and one 24w bulb, maybe consider suspending your lighting so intensity can be adjusted throughout the life of the aquascape ime t5s are quite hard to match to co2 sometimes for the addition of livestock.

Why would you say 90cm long?
Because 24w t5ho bulbs are usually that length, unless you have the shorter 55cm ones. You need to look at how you intend mounting your lights as it is this that may well dictate the length of your tank.

The flow from your filter needs to be about 10x the size of your tank, hence the Martin's recommendation of 100l.

Both bulbs would be sufficient with the co2, giving you about 2.2 wpg. One bulb would be 1.1wpg.

Thanks guys.

Hello tim. Yes that seems to be a good sized tank. When you say T5s are hard to match CO2 does that mean that LEDs or something else are easier?

Hello squid102. My t5ho light fixture is 60cm long so a 60cm long tank would be more appropriate I guess. Would you have both 24w lamps or just the one?

thanks

Hi jaap, I've not used LEDs so can't comment I'm afraid but I have used t8s power compacts and normal output t5s without much issue since using t5 high output I have struggled with lots of algae issues and near gassing of live stock I've now raised the t5s a good 12 inches above my tank, LEDs will be something I try in the future I like the fact they can be dimmed to various power settings so should be easier to find the balance. Good luck with your new setup.

rule of thumb is between 0.5 to 1 watt per liter...I would stick with 0.5 watt (or even less) ....with 100 liter your 2 t5 24W should be fine...if your lights are indeed 60 cm you have more options (60x45x30 is nice...also 60x30x45 would be cool if you want a bit more length feeling but try to mount the lights a bit higher above the tank)

I am ready to build my tank. The space that I have is in between two cabinets 60cm apart. The wise thing to do I guess is have the aquarium 40cm long and leave 10cm on each side for filter inlet/outlet and CO2 equipment etc. I dont know if you agree on this or not. So the final size can be 40x30x30 or 40x35x35.

so on that note which would be a good size? Maybe go for a 45cm length?

I am confused but I will definitely be needing a new light fixture and I am thinking of going with TCM GroBeam so maybe I should base my decision on that. HELP :)

Back