• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help!!!!...The more I read the more I become confused.

Beautiful tank Troi! Is that some sort of Sag in the foreground? Yes everyone has been really kind giving advise...

Big Tom can I buy some 'trident' off you... I've seen it looking fab in dustinsfishtanks 220 tank.

Also after saying 'decision made'...was thinking last night maybe I should use 'Westlands or J Arthur Bower' aquatic soil as a base (both pretty much have the same stuff in them), mix in the flourite for added long term minerals and texture...but maybe I add a little John Innes 3 too? Say 50:25:25 ratios (aquatic soil: fluorite: John Innes).... What do you guys think? Overkill or worth a punt?

Biggest problem with soil tank's in my view,,,are those who move plant's about a lot,, thereby making a right mess each time,, and those who frequently change scapes and perhap's do not give the soil based tank's proper time to become impressive in their own right.
My youngest tank is nearly two year's in the running..Slow grower's for the most part, that don't need a lot of light.
Could not find clear evidence as to CEC properties of various soil's, and chose to add cat litter (unscented,plain clay) so as not to leave anything to chance and it was laying around .Ditto for plain top soil used for growing indoor plant's.
Tank in my avatar is result of my effort's at low tech and advise here,was/is invaluable(Troi,both Tom's, Clive) toward's the end I have been able to achieve.

Beautiful tank Troi! Is that some sort of Sag in the foreground? Yes everyone has been really kind giving advise...

Big Tom can I buy some 'trident' off you... I've seen it looking fab in dustinsfishtanks 220 tank.

Also after saying 'decision made'...was thinking last night maybe I should use 'Westlands or J Arthur Bower' aquatic soil as a base (both pretty much have the same stuff in them), mix in the flourite for added long term minerals and texture...but maybe I add a little John Innes 3 too? Say 50:25:25 ratios (aquatic soil: fluorite: John Innes).... What do you guys think? Overkill or worth a punt?

Yup I'll have a trim over the weekend and see how much I end up with, should be able to find a decent amount for you. Don't really see any need for adding JI3 to the aquatic compost, although I guess it can't hurt other than probably increasing the period of ammonia leaching a bit.

And I agree with roadmaster in that the rewards from this sort of approach really do come with patience.

Thanks again guys, and brilliant news about trident BT. I agree roadmaster, I'd read 'dirt' tanks should be left and moving plants about causes a mess...therefore I'm going to 'try' and plant once...might be asking you guys for plant advice in the next few months :)

Hi its Lilaeopsis sp, a good carpet plant for the low-energy tank.

Go for it, experimenting is all part of the fun.

Thanks again guys, and brilliant news about trident BT. I agree roadmaster, I'd read 'dirt' tanks should be left and moving plants about causes a mess...therefore I'm going to 'try' and plant once...might be asking you guys for plant advice in the next few months :)

Actually, that is not the case if you use a gravel tidy or soil retainer cut from a material such as this Greenhouse Shading 5m x .6m: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors and place it between the soil and the gravel/sand cap it will prevent the soil from being disturbed...scape and re-scape at leisure without fear of a turbid tank. Like I said before it's all here for the taking...The Soil Substrate Planted Tank - A How to Guide | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Soilretainerwithgravelinsert_zps2ae48225.jpg

Thanks Troi, think I will go for it, as BT said might get more ammonia but I'm looking at the end game. Also what a fantastic idea using the greenhouse shading... presumably you plant in the gravel and the plant roots make their own way into the 'dirt'...probably need a good 1 and a half inches of gravel using this technique?

Yep they do through a phenomena called geotropism. As to depth, obviously that sort of depth will make life much easier when planting but I've planted in a couple of cm before it's just a little fiddlier and frustrating when things may not stay put first time. You will definitely need a good pair of tweezers.

Have used the Gravel tidy ,also nylon mesh.Root's grow through the mesh,gravel tidy,and when you want to maybe seperate a plant ,move plant's,the root's sometimes make the gravel tidy,mesh come up with em.(intertwined).
Tried cutting the root's with scissor's but had to cut too short for my taste to keep gravel tidy,mesh from coming up also.

Wow that sounds like some root development; testament to the effectiveness of soil substrates. I guess nothing is completely foolproof. I suppose it depends on what type of mesh used and the capping substrate and how thick and heavy the layer.

I've never experienced this myself using the greenhouse shading material recommended above (it's fairly rigid) capped with sand or gravel, but re-scaping is an exercise always best done with caution in order to minimize disturbance anyway.

I must admit it had crossed my mind that the roots through the mesh would make it tricky to move them, however I think that's offset with keeping the soil in place. One question though, and forgive me because I'm not that au fait with many plant species.... but don't some have quite thick roots?

Don't think it would limit plant's. Root's will draw from nutrient's however,wherever.(Water column also).
My tank;s do not have foam underneath, and whenever I remove canister from under the tank,, I can look up at bottom of the tank,through the glass,and see large root system's from sword's, and crypt's ,spreading over the glass.
Might were it me,,note approx size plant's can achieve and try not to place them where they will shade smaller plant's in front once the achieve full growth.
This way, you won't need to uproot,move plant's too much. Sound's obvious, but many like to move plant's about ,and is much easier to pull up dirt, than just leaving them alone to do what they do. (say's from own expierience).

Sorry guys I've not logged on for a while... thanks again for all the advice... I'm going to incorporate all your tips I think. I've sourced the Westlands Aquatic compost (20litres £5.99) and Westlands John Innes no3 (13litres £2.50...bargain) :)

Back