• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with aquascape

Qwedfg

Setting up my tank again after my basement flooded. Wanted to try an aquascape this time instead of dutch (maybe?) but I don't know how I feel about this. This isn't a finalized version but a rough draft.

Thinking about adding sand in the front. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
aquascape.jpeg

That's a beutiful piece of wood. That's all the input I can offer, better minds than mine in this forum. Although the right hand piece looks like you could place it on top of the other and grow emersed stuff on those pockets... Food for thought.

Thank you , I agree about the wood but having a hard time figuring out how to use it. I was thinking about doing a triangular scape like this but feel limited trying to use sand instead of dumping my aqua soil in and going from there.

I have some more pieces of wood, about 60 lbs of this lava rock and probably 40 lbs of seiryu sitting around so I have a lot of options.

Hi Welcome!
Your wood pieces are very interesting, however, I don’t like the branches pointing down as per your layout. I’d suggest flipping them over so they point up. There are loads of videos on YouTube to inspire you. Take your time and don’t rush it. Have you decided if your are going low or high tech?

Have a look at this video. It’s very long and has a lot to take in about design and layout. I’d suggest watching it a few times to get to grips with the ideas presented.
https://youtu.be/uJBhmZUwDBI?si=YY2AsfyX8qKpY8Ik

Hi Welcome!
Your wood pieces are very interesting, however, I don’t like the branches pointing down as per your layout. I’d suggest flipping them over so they point up. There are loads of videos on YouTube to inspire you. Take your time and don’t rush it. Have you decided if your are going low or high tech?

Have a look at this video. It’s very long and has a lot to take in about design and layout. I’d suggest watching it a few times to get to grips with the ideas presented.

Thanks I will try rearranging the wood so its facing up. I will be going high tech, this tank used to be a dutch set up but I had to take it down about two months ago because my basement flooded and I needed to pull the floor up to dry everything out. Luckily there was no serious damage to the basement and I just finished putting the floor back down again so it's time to set up the tank.

I will definitely take some time to figure it out but I always have the urge to do another dutch set up! I will watch the video later today when I have some time thank you for linking it. I've been looking at some of the ada videos and its amazing how sometimes you think the scape looks a bit lacking but the way they plant it pulls it all together.

It all depends on the style. I saw perhaps 3/4ths of the video, will finish it later, and the key elements are great, but you need to apply it to what you like most, I suppose. These aquariums look diorama-ish to me. Impressive, but not what I'd do, if I had 1/10th of these people's ability. I always look at the Biotope Aquarium Design layouts, those are AMAZING and what I aim for.

As for the branches, I usually see the "thin" parts of the wood on the top while looking at wood in the river. Trees are uprooted and fall into the stream, and really interesting spots get formed at the root structures that remain half in, half out of the water. They are in the shallows, so this is usually where a fish you can keep in an aquarium would be. They provide refuge, and their structure usually provides places for mosses and aquatic plants to grow, as well as riparian plants to emerge. Aquarium designers very often do triangular scapes with root like structures going down, which in my experience usually does not happen with trees, only perhaps with shrubs and softer plant root structures.

The video is amazing. These guys think stuff through on a whole other level

Besides, they are all very clear concepts. My first language is not English, neither is his, and frankly his English is worse than mine, and yet he delivers the ideas behind everything he does flawlessly. An artist.

The video is amazing. These guys think stuff through on a whole other level

Besides, they are all very clear concepts. My first language is not English, neither is his, and frankly his English is worse than mine, and yet he delivers the ideas behind everything he does flawlessly. An artist.
He definitely has me rethinking my upcoming Wabi Kusa ! In fact he has stalled me completely…..along with the tank not available in the shops as yet!

What’s your ancestry with a name like O’Reilly?

Josh Sim will have much more to say than I. The two points I'd maybe make are, as @Mike Singh is saying, to have some upward branches. Right now your triangle is too strict and doesn't have the tension of some bits breaking the strong line.
On the sand foreground, the trick is making sure your soil doesn't constantly roll forward by having some sort of barrier and filling cracks with filter floss (that you don't see long term). Keeping that barrier looking natural, and working with the design is tricky, though I've seen some videos where what looks a bit like just a wall with hardscape works out better than expected with the plants in.
Alternatively, you could have planting on the left, and then a mostly epiphyte island on the right, keeping that island completely surrounded by sand. Could look cool, depends on your thinking re planting really.
Look forward to seeing the next iteration!

@Qwedfg do a layout with the rocks removed. Then flip the wood over, such that the branches run from the bottom left or right side to the top of the tank. Rotate the orientation to help. To create the layered effect place the small wood piece on a plane in front of the bigger piece. You may have the prop up the wood pieces on some of the rocks to help with rotation upwards. Also consider using negative space on the side opposite the wood. Just some ideas to think about….
Don’t forget to post loads of pictures!

@Qwedfg what are the dimensions of your tank? Looks like it has some good height on it. In which case use the hight and don’t have everything clustered towards the bottom of the tank.
Its a knock off waterbox 60p. I find it hard to build height without putting aquasoil in first but from the videos I've seen if you want to use sand its best to try to build the scape first then add soil. I am playing around with my scape now but might just ditch the sand idea and go with foreground plants.

I really appreciate all the comments from people its been very helpful. Hopefully I will be able to post something worthwhile over the next few days and then I'll start a journal.

Back