• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with my new led lighting

Re: Help with my new led lighting

So you made up your mind what size to go for matey ? My LED's are gone now btw. I'm getting a Colourplus to see what it looks like in addition to the T5's in the Trigon.

Antipofish said:
So you made up your mind what size to go for matey ? My LED's are gone now btw. I'm getting a Colourplus to see what it looks like in addition to the T5's in the Trigon.

It's a cross between a 5x4 or 4x4. I've taped out an outline of the bigger tank, I think a 5x5 would just swallow up my dining room. It would mean I have to sell my current table and get a little round dining table or a fold away one and not too sure I want that look lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 5x4 would be nicer in any case mate :thumbup: No point going so big you end up resenting the space it takes up. Is there any reason you want to go shallow again ? 5' x 3' x 2' sounds nice :)

How about a bank of three Ecotech Radions ?

Hi bud like we chatted about here is a quick drawing of the spec you gave me hope this helps :)

:thumbup:

light.jpg

Aron_Dip said:
just really basic mate tbh but would be effective .. remember some sort of vents along top or on ether side
I'd leave big cut outs on the top anyway to allow the heat out. What wood would you suggest that would be nice and light.

If that is for gu10's I do not think they are close enough to each other to blend properly. Reading the thread I posted it seems they need to be almost touching and 10-12" above the water surface to get a proper blend and not the light beam effect.

Plus unless you plan on at least 60 degree optics I do not think it will be enough bulbs to have a good spread with 30 degree optics used.......

I am only going of my conclusions from that thread though so no actual idea in real life lol

Alastair said:
Aron_Dip said:
just really basic mate tbh but would be effective .. remember some sort of vents along top or on ether side
I'd leave big cut outs on the top anyway to allow the heat out. What wood would you suggest that would be nice and light.

I'd use MDF mate at them sizes 12mm with the Centre and outer supports out off 18mm that will be ok.. B&Q Do a free cutting service, I could do you a cutting list and get them to cut the lot for you there ;)

Danny said:
If that is for gu10's I do not think they are close enough to each other to blend properly. Reading the thread I posted it seems they need to be almost touching and 10-12" above the water surface to get a proper blend and not the light beam effect.

Plus unless you plan on at least 60 degree optics I do not think it will be enough bulbs to have a good spread with 30 degree optics used.......

I am only going of my conclusions from that thread though so no actual idea in real life lol

Hi Danny, it's only going above a very low tech set up and on a very shallow tank, it's not like the marine tanks where the aim is to get as much light ficus and par down into the tank. There's would be far less water fir the light to have to penetrate for one, and plants used would be low light plants also. No co2 etc. there is always room to add more lights into that as I've been told on a seperate circuit to add extra light to it but I don't want massive light on this new tank, that's why my current set up the lighting is fixed really high off the tank

Plus there will be a mixture of 11w megaman bulbs along with 5 or so 3x3 watt Cree gu10s too. The higher the unit anyway the spread will be more just not as focused but I'm not aiming for huge amounts of light

Also in the link you posted, his formula he gives for how many lights needed is based on the 3w LEDs not 9w LEDs or 11w megamans.
Tank length divide by 2 minus one so that would mean on a 4 x 4 for example it would be 118 needed of 3w LEDs, now if using 9 watts then you'd divide this figure by 3 which would mean 39 bulbs were needed, then take into account I'm going low light so I'd not even need that much really

Danny said:
Damn lol forgot it was for a planted tank pmsl. Been spending to much time on the marine forums lol

Quick ! Cancel your memberships to the salty forums before the dark side takes over your life. Once you go too far, there is no coming back to the sanity of plants. :D

Danny said:
Damn lol forgot it was for a planted tank pmsl. Been spending to much time on the marine forums lol

Lmao. I've been on that forum a bit the last few days. I've just added some more info into my previous post too dan regarding how many lights needed from his equation too as your opting for triple the wattage of each bulb compared to his 3w per bulb ;)

Hi Alastair,
Here is a couple of pics from one of my old setups I used 2x3w gu10s mounted 12" above the setup. The bulbs were a single 3w chip not sure on the optics 30 deg maybe? The tank is 60x35x35cm.
0172.jpg

0222.jpg

You can just see the rig in this one, pretty crude
005-1.jpg

Even manged to grow hairgrass o_O
002-1.jpg

OllieNZ said:
Hi Alastair,
Here is a couple of pics from one of my old setups I used 2x3w gu10s mounted 12" above the setup. The bulbs were a single 3w chip not sure on the optics 30 deg maybe? The tank is 60x35x35cm.
0172.jpg

0222.jpg

You can just see the rig in this one, pretty crude
005-1.jpg

Even manged to grow hairgrass o_O
002-1.jpg

Thanks ollie, they look cool thank you. I don't think I'd even need 25 in that case given the effect you got off of those.
I'm definitely going with these for sure no doubt
Thank you :)
Great pics by the way loved the shallow shots

Back