• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hosta's

All my potted Hosta's have come out now :D

IMGP1458.jpg

You're gonna need a BIG tank to put them in !!! LOL

Those Hostas are looking really healthy though. How do you avoid slugs ? Do you use pellets?

you cannot beat sieboldii elegence. best hosta by far. do not like variegated though.

No, slug pellets are nasty things for wildlife so we don't use anything like that in the garden. The Hosta's planted in the garden sometimes get a bit knibbled but the potted ones generally fair better. We encourage lots of birds to our garden and seeded a new pond with frogs spawn some years ago so the frogs and birds together with visiting hedgehogs help us keep slug numbers down.

Hi
We use a type of slug pellet that is wildlife and pet friendly. Have you thought about that? Not that you need it if you have frogs and hedgehogs :)

darren636 said:
you cannot beat sieboldii elegence. best hosta by far. do not like variegated though.

Not sure, but I split one of the ones in the garden and potted it a while ago which I think may be an Elegans.
It's the one in front row in the terracotta coloured pot. The parent plant is really quite large, biggest Hosta in the garden.

Aqua sobriquet said:
Not heard of those pellets, let me know what they are just in case!
OK Will have to check in the garden when I can wade across the grass ! Bit waterlogged ATM. Bloody hosepipe ban my tushie !!

Just collected some seed from my Hosta's. I normally just divide them to get new plants as they don't grow true from seed but I thought it would be interesting to see what I get - if anything. :lol: You never know, something nice may come up!

ha! You have not seen a hosta until you visit bodnant gardens in north wales. they have a giant, the flower spikes are well over two metres tall. the plant itself must be as long and wide as a couple of cars..... a great place to visit btw.

I've made a note of that Darren, thanks. I'd like to see the Hosta collection Prince Charles has as well.

Coffee works well as well, caffeine is impossibly toxic to slugs. Grounds don't work as well as fresh coffee left to cool and poured into the soil.

Back