• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do you keep track of test results?

How do you keep track of aquarium test results, dosing etc.?

• Spreadsheet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • App(s) - please share in the thread which ones

• Some other method not listed here - please share in thread how

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tronalon

Curious about solutions out there for monitoring cause and effect on aquarium care. How do you keep track of test results and other changes?

Hi all,
How do you keep track of test results and other changes?
Mainly by visual and inferential methods <"What’s everyone’s thoughts on aquarium testing kits (Newbie)">- <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?">.

A lot of the parameters, <"that we are interested in">, are difficult to <"measure accurately">, but where <"they aren't">? I try and use <"robust equipment"> and <"methods">.

I have a <"risk management approach"> to tank care, and I try to avoid any <"single points of failure">.

The problem with most forms of water testing is that, even if you get accurate values, you can't really monitor cause and effect, because aquariums are <"complex multifactorial"> "experiments".

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I use pencil and paper, but I only test consistently when I'm getting a tank set up. After that, only if I'm monitoring something, troubleshooting a problem, or maybe a very occasional spot check if I'm feeling feisty. I know what the readings ought to be and regular maintenance keeps things from drifting out of parameter.

When I was a beginner I set up a spreadsheet, but it quickly became apparent that was overkill.

Like @ElleDee, I only test with test kits when setting up a new tank, just to keep an eye on things before adding livestock. I certainly don’t keep a record.

That said, I use a drop checker which I look at every day and use my floating plants to keep an eye on nutrient levels. I observe my fish and shrimp to get an idea of their happiness/health.

With a planted aquarium, a lot of the things we test for can be largely ignored as the plants will process and export these substance we would consider contaminants in a fish only set up.

Back