• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How long does a sodastream bottle last?

Ben Cox

I know it is like asking how long is a piece of string but I am looking at this system and wondered if anyone had any experience in this company and if so if they had a rough idea on how long i'd get from a sodastream bottle in a 140L tank?

Thanks

Ben

I have the co2supermarket regulator with solenoid and drop checker etc. and it seems to have been good so far. No problems. I was going to use the soda stream system initially but once I priced it up, I decided I had space for a fire extinguisher. It’s an expensive way of doing it and I’d get a FE if you can.

Thanks for the reply guys. I also messaged Co2 Supermarket and they replied with this:
Thanks for your enquiry, for a 140L tank I think a SodaStream cylinder would be a good option as I'd expect you would be dosing at approximately 1 bubble per second which if done for 8 hours per day you could expect a cylinder would last 3-4 months, so the running cost would be very low and you have an easy and convenient way of getting the CO2.
I guess they are trying to sell there systems but it does seem promising?

Thanks for the reply guys. I also messaged Co2 Supermarket and they replied with this:

I guess they are trying to sell there systems but it does seem promising?
Yeah, lots depends on how long it lasts, but my 2kg Fire Ex only lasts 6-7 weeks on my tank haha. High injection though.

I have the co2supermarket regulator with solenoid and drop checker etc. and it seems to have been good so far. No problems. I was going to use the soda stream system initially but once I priced it up, I decided I had space for a fire extinguisher. It’s an expensive way of doing it and I’d get a FE if you can.
Would the CO2 Supermarket regulator fit other types of bottles if I decided to change in the future?

Just an fyi. I ended up using triple the co2 supermarket estimate on bps. Another user on here posted being several times over their estimate. We both have hard water and I have come to understand you need more co2 to achieve the same results in hard water.
Regarding the screw compatibility, soda stream and fire extinguishers need different threads and co2 supermarket sells adapters.

Would the CO2 Supermarket regulator fit other types of bottles if I decided to change in the future?
Yes, the standard fitting is a FE thread. They sell adaptors for different bottles so if you ordered a soda stream compatible kit your regulator would fit sodastream bottles with the adaptor and FE without.

Just an fyi. I ended up using triple the co2 supermarket estimate on bps. Another user on here posted being several times over their estimate. We both have hard water and I have come to understand you need more co2 to achieve the same results in hard water.
Regarding the screw compatibility, soda stream and fire extinguishers need different threads and co2 supermarket sells adapters.
I have a 90l with relatively soft water (I add remineraliser for my inverts to 6dGH) which uses over triple their estimate to achieve 30ppm in my tank (lime green on the DC). I run the diffuser at 40psi with a bps of just over 3. I have no leaks in the system.

I think their equipment is fine, just their estimates are very conservative.

Thanks for all the help. I think I am going to go with the system and use sodastream to start with. If I feel that it is getting too pricey then I will swap to a different bottle type. :)

How many grams of co2 are the soda stream bottles and what do they cost?
I too am looking at the co2 supermarket option, l got the impression that co2 disposable welding bottles are the cheaper option at £26.10 for 1000g, though l could be wrong, and l hate the disposable idea…… I’m moving towards the FZONE 4 liter DIY route…., but what is the working pressure on one of those? That surely affects your diffuser options?

How many grams of co2 are the soda stream bottles and what do they cost?
I too am looking at the co2 supermarket option, l got the impression that co2 disposable welding bottles are the cheaper option at £26.10 for 1000g, though l could be wrong, and l hate the disposable idea…… I’m moving towards the FZONE 4 liter DIY route…., but what is the working pressure on one of those? That surely affects your diffuser options?
I have a spare adaptor for the disposal welding gas if you want it? Depending on your location, then it could be a good option.

Still, if you can get a 2kg FE and get it filled locally, this will definitely be cheaper long term.

Thanks for the offer Simon, but l reckon l’m going to go DIY with a 4L FZONE.
Maybe Ben is interested…..

My main problem is space. I am not sure my wife would be happy with a 2Kg FE sitting outside the cabinet so I need to go smallish. I have now seen that CO2 Supermarket sell adaptors to refill the sodastream bottles from a larger supply. Might go down that route.

I just bought a Nano CO2 set and an adaptor to fit one of my Soda Stream bottles, I find Soda Stream okay for Nano tanks.
My gripe with CO2 Supermarket is their carrier DPD delivered to the wrong address. I was fortunately able to track down where they left it and retrieved the parcel ( nigh on £150 worth with what I bought)
On emailing both CO2 Supermarket and DPD to tell them, I have not had the courtesy of a reply from either.
Seems they are keen to contact when selling but it all ends there?

I just bought a Nano CO2 set and an adaptor to fit one of my Soda Stream bottles, I find Soda Stream okay for Nano tanks.
My gripe with CO2 Supermarket is their carrier DPD delivered to the wrong address. I was fortunately able to track down where they left it and retrieved the parcel ( nigh on £150 worth with what I bought)
On emailing both CO2 Supermarket and DPD to tell them, I have not had the courtesy of a reply from either.
Seems they are keen to contact when selling but it all ends there?
Apologies to CO2 Supermarket, unlike DPD they actually did reply to me, I just found the email

Hi @Ben Cox
Could I trouble you for a favour?
Im on the 2nd of my three nano cylinders for my co2 supermarket system.
I plan to shift to the soda stream adapter after the 3rd is used but I just realised it may not fit in the bookshelf.
Could you tell me the total height clearance needed for your co2 nano with soda stream please? Including the space for bubble counter and the tubing etc….

Hi @Ben Cox
Could I trouble you for a favour?
Im on the 2nd of my three nano cylinders for my co2 supermarket system.
I plan to shift to the soda stream adapter after the 3rd is used but I just realised it may not fit in the bookshelf.
Could you tell me the total height clearance needed for your co2 nano with soda stream please? Including the space for bubble counter and the tubing etc….
Hi mate. I haven’t gone with that system. I’m going to go with the Fzone 4 litre system.

Hi.
I have been meaning to review and share this info for ages but you know....
Yes i kind of do know how long they last. I purchased the CO2 SM single stage reg and adapter for the Soda Stream.
I guess i just wanted to move towards CO2. Its like being at school and saying well everyone is doing it so why cant I?
Anyway knowing sod all except from the info on the forum I went for it when my family were in Japan for 3 weeks. This gave me the time to fail without anyone looking at me saying HOW MUCH!
Stop waffling!!

I have a 35 ltr Dennerle Scapers Tank.
Rammed with plants.
Use the CO2 SM small bazooka diffuser etc. I tried others but this is the best for me.
I guess i got just under a year on one bottle.
Basically 1 BPS there about.
Have it on a Kasa timer for 10 hours 15 mins daily.

Okay this is where i go up against the fire extinguisher crew.
I have a small house. Very little extra room. I use an ikea cabinet. A FE wont fit.
Actually a SS Bottle doesnt fit either but its easy to hide and looks good! I made a little stand for it.

When my bottle ran out, i was caught off guard.
No probs, took the bottle to Sainsburys late the same night which has an Argos, did a swap and they give you £10 off a refill.
Bloody brilliant.

If you have the space and a larger tank that 35 LTR think of using an FE. If not do a SS for sure. Its a cheap test anyway.
Make sure no one is looking when it all goes wrong, but everyone is looking when it looks wicked!

Nice.

Si

Back