• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HQI lighting... Duration and intensity relationship.

Iain Sutherland

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
So the new tank set up taking shape im starting to plan lighting periods etc. Being as this is my first time with Halide lighting i'm fairly unsure.

Spec:
300ltr opti white 90x45x75
Pressurised co2 through Rhinox 5000 ceramic diffuser
1 x 150w HQI
2 x 24w giesemann powerchrome midday
Light will be 45-55cm from surface to accomadate emmersed growth.
EI ferts

Obviously while the tank is new lighting will be suspended higher and for shorter periods-
start with 2 x T5 for 2 hours before HQI comes on for 2 hours then 1 hour T5 after HQI off totaling 5 hrs.
My assumption is that the T5's will have very little par levels on a large tank and suspended so high :?

So the question... Will i be able to eventually get the lighting period to around 10 hours, 3 hours of T5 either side of HQI for 4 hours midday burst?
I fear I will be told that the plants will start to shut down long before the T5's go off and might cause algae issues??

Do plants have a 'set' period of time that they will uptake co2 and nutrients in any given day or is it dependant on the lighting cycle/ strength?

The reason i would like a longer period is i work shifts and regularly miss lights on all together which obviously has issues, especially new tank monitoring/ maintenance wise.

Im ready to be educated :D
Thanks

Re: HQI lighting... watch Clive shoot me down!

150w over 300lt sounds good to me, I use my main light (70w MH over 220lt) for 6 hours but with a single 30w powerglow (blue tint) for 2 hours either side.
I don't keep the 30w on during the 6 hour growth period but I do have 10 hours of illumination.

Re: HQI lighting... will Clive educate me?

Well in my instance I simply stick to the basic rules of gas on two hours before the growing light & standard calculations for EI dosing.
My 30w tube is just an effect in an attempt to replicate dawn & dusk but it offers enough light to enjoy the tank in a different light.
To be honest even 70w of metal halide is pretty bright in my lounge so it goes off at 7pm so we can enjoy the relative calm atmospheric & mellow hues of the 30w powerglow.
I find the fish are far more relaxed in the reduced light too.
I have used 6-7 hours of growing light for many years now, I am not in a competition & I hate algae.

Back