• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is my lighting causing problems?

HermFish

Today I got a 7 ember tetras for my 10 gallon tank along with 2 nerite snails. The tank is fully cycled and full of plants. It has a lot of algae from the old filter I used to cycle it with but my snails seem to love it.

The shop I got them from only had 7, they weren't kept very well and the person who put them into the bag to take home was very violent and careless. (Most of the fish played dead for a while when acclimating because of this)

Anyway, after releasing them into the tank they were very happy and active. They swam around and explored together and it was super cute! But when I turned the light on after an hour and they immediately swam to the bottom and stayed there. At first I thought it was shock but after a few hours I noticed them being less active and hiding in my plants. I turned the light off again after a while and 3 began to slowly swim back out.

I'm guessing this is because my lights are too bright? But I can't dim them or put any paper over the lid like my other tanks because they light is inside the lid not above (I don't know how to explain it's positioning).
I tried floating plants in the tank before I had fish but they died because they couldn't stay above the water.

Is it because they are already stressed, too few in numbers or because they can't handle the light?

What can I use to dim the lights and what common floating plants could I get to survive my slightly fast flow?

Sounds like they just need time to acclimatise and get used to their new surroundings. If you pose your light model, it may be possible to find an appropriate dimmer.

Water lettuce seems to be the hardiest of floating plants but if it’s being constantly pushed underwater it will suffer. If you want a selection of plants to try, see my free floaters thread.

The shop I got them from only had 7, they weren't kept very well and the person who put them into the bag to take home was very violent and careless. (Most of the fish played dead for a while when acclimating because of this)
This does not sound like a great shop. One to avoid in the future.
Is it because they are already stressed, too few in numbers or because they can't handle the light?
After that experience and husbandry, they are going to be stressed and will need a little longer to acclimatise. I would consider keeping the lights off for as much as possible (minimum to ensure plants can survive) and let the new additions settle in. I would also reduce the feeding slightly for a week.

I would consider getting a dimmer (for various reasons) as they are very very handy.

This does not sound like a great shop. One to avoid in the future.

After that experience and husbandry, they are going to be stressed and will need a little longer to acclimatise. I would consider keeping the lights off for as much as possible (minimum to ensure plants can survive) and let the new additions settle in. I would also reduce the feeding slightly for a week.

I would consider getting a dimmer (for various reasons) as they are very very handy.
It's an absolutely terrible place and I'm never going back so don't worry!

I have been looking at dimmers and light dimming sheets but while I wait for one I'll be sure to keep the lights off for longer. I actually didn't know what they were before so thank you! They sound super helpful.

I wish every fish tank light automatically had the option to be made brighter or darker. Every fish has different light requirements and it would make stocking tanks easier.
Sounds like they just need time to acclimatise and get used to their new surroundings. If you pose your light model, it may be possible to find an appropriate dimmer.

Water lettuce seems to be the hardiest of floating plants but if it’s being constantly pushed underwater it will suffer. If you want a selection of plants to try, see my free floaters thread.
I think I might try that or Hornwort, thank you for the suggestion and I'll definitely look into the thread♡
I'm glad everyone so far agrees that they just need time to settle aswell, I was worried it was something more serious!

I have amber tetras and if you try to catch them they play dead lol.
One of them stayed face down full vertical for nearly 5 mins had me fooled that she might have actually died.

Got 10 in my 45l iwagumi. And 12 neon greens in 50L.

Both fish very skittish (mostly because of my 2 year old eyeballing them and running near the tank) 😂

I have amber tetras and if you try to catch them they play dead lol.
One of them stayed face down full vertical for nearly 5 mins had me fooled that she might have actually died.

Got 10 in my 45l iwagumi. And 12 neon greens in 50L.

Both fish very skittish (mostly because of my 2 year old eyeballing them and running near the tank) 😂
That is exactly what happened to me! 2 of them were playing dead in the bag and it was so scary. I had no idea they did that so got really upset until they started moving again!

They are such a weird fish! When they aren't hiding I love watching them swim around though. Worth the panic 😂

In my experience they like having places with cover, after a recent rescale with less shaded areas mines have become far more shy, this should resolve itself once my plants grow in.

Back