• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is rotala blood red?

Coxiella

I bought it as emersed 2 weeks ago. But it's still green

d3886c8a-dd83-430f-9dd0-45a5e16a1b86.jpeg

I have Rotala Orange Juice and have never seen an orange colouration. I have reasonably high light but have to limit it somewhat with floating plants to prevent algae.

Is it just light that is required for colour or does nitrate limitation matter too?

If it is not colouring with light intensity, I doubt nitrate limitation matters. In theory, I would say why not, but in practice, with 'neglected' plant only tanks, I've never witnessed colouring under very low / no dedicated aquarium light.

Light intensity does make CO2 and O2 stress very pronounced. If you are able to help plants deal with this, you can crank up the intensity and induce pigmentation, without making the life of our marginal and marsh plants in fully submersed conditions harder than it already is.

Plants in good conditions are probably also much better capable of defensive biochemical warfare and perhaps managing the composition of epiphytic biofilm overall. Hence, (healthy) plant density matters to discourage algal spores from germinating.

Reducing the organics with water changes and maximising O2 to its soluble levels (in scope of organic break down), should help prevent germination also. I'd aerate tanks heavily at night to cause extra water movement and agitate the water surface, and allow water temperature to (naturally) drop, in the hopes to maximise O2.

If it is not colouring with light intensity, I doubt nitrate limitation matters. In theory, I would say why not, but in practice, with 'neglected' plant only tanks, I've never witnessed colouring under very low / no dedicated aquarium light.

Light intensity does make CO2 and O2 stress very pronounced. If you are able to help plants deal with this, you can crank up the intensity and induce pigmentation, without making the life of our marginal and marsh plants in fully submersed conditions harder than it already is.

Plants in good conditions are probably also much better capable of defensive biochemical warfare and perhaps managing the composition of epiphytic biofilm overall. Hence, (healthy) plant density matters to discourage algal spores from germinating.

Reducing the organics with water changes and maximising O2 to its soluble levels (in scope of organic break down), should help prevent germination also. I'd aerate tanks heavily at night to cause extra water movement and agitate the water surface, and allow water temperature to (naturally) drop, in the hopes to maximise O2.
In short, I do all that already. My tank is far from neglected. I’ll persist with the Rotala OJ as it’s growing fine but it’s green. Might go orange one day.

EDIT: I’m not plant only. Lots of fish.

I was referring to a couple of my own tanks, which makes me question whether nitrate limitation has the desired effect under low light. I was not assuming you are neglecting your tank of course.

Rotala "Blood Red" is a variant of Rotala Rotundfolia Red. The only difference is that "Blood Red" turns red much more easily compared to Rotundfolia Red. It's like a cheat code enabled.

Since "Blood Red" is physically indistinguishable from "Rotundfolia red" . if the plant doesn't turn red, maybe its not actually the "Blood Red" variant?

(a similar comment can be made about Ludwigia Meta - growing it feels like 'cheating' if you had suffered with Ludwigia Pantanal....)

I think it is not. Because emersed leaves of Blood Red looks different and within 2 weeks it should give some red color already.

I bought it as emersed 2 weeks ago. But it's still green

View attachment 217360
I've had this kind of issue. I have rotundifolia, h'ra and green alongside the blood red. The h'ra was red-ish at the top amd the blood red was no different. The only thing is that the blood red had slightly larger leaves.

I'll wait for the about to be released version from tropica

Back