• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this a proper cycling method for a reef aquarium?

Yep that's the main reason to cure rock is to get the nitrates and phosphates to leach out of the rock before it goes into the display. It can be a long and expensive process though as the water needs to have 'less' N & P than the rock so that it leaches out - that means lots of water changes, filtration (bio pellets, denitrator, etc.), and/or treatment (Lanthanum, GFO, etc.). I won't get the debate started on what level of N & P you're looking for as that is a can of worms. :)

That’s why we cure it. (Unless it’s genuine live rock).
Don’t get hung up on using a certain amount of rock in relation to volume of water either, that’s old school mentality.
Buy as much or as little amount of rock as it takes to build a scale you’re happy with, it can be as minimal as you like.
Thanks for the tip mate!
I'd like to build a minimal scape, like 2-3 "islands".
Yep that's the main reason to cure rock is to get the nitrates and phosphates to leach out of the rock before it goes into the display. It can be a long and expensive process though as the water needs to have 'less' N & P than the rock so that it leaches out - that means lots of water changes, filtration (bio pellets, denitrator, etc.), and/or treatment (Lanthanum, GFO, etc.). I won't get the debate started on what level of N & P you're looking for as that is a can of worms. :)
I don't know how to cook, and I'm not keen on learning now 😁

Has any of you used Real Reef Rock?

Back