• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java fern & Ozelot

caliswall

Hi all,

I'm still a little new to this and have a few concerns over my ferns and ozelot swords.

I'm not 100% sure if they are ok or if I should be cutting themost back a little.

What are the tell tail signs etc.

Here are some pics if it helps.

31dda84a467f9dccb4dfd1bcb1ed0a81.jpg

bc801aef9e04817def9a92b6b7f521aa.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi Martin.

Thank you for the response. The ozelot are planted directly into some base soil I picked up from my lfs it's a jbl brand. Should I be looking at adding fertiliser tabs as well?

On the fern front the rather black spotted leaf so prominent in the picture actually has roots and new leaf growing from it.

The majority of leaves have some small discolouration or rips are these the ones I should be looking to remove?

Sorry for the questions a little new to keeping plants.

Sorry for the questions a little new to keeping plants.
Hey, that's why we joined a forum, so worries....
Just cut away the most ugly/unhealthy leaves and let the rest be, you can always cut away more after a while (adding is a bit more difficult :D),small discoloring or damages are OK for now, let the plants grow a bit bigger first.

OK that makes sense. Thank you very much for your help massively appreciated.

Hi all,
On the fern front the rather black spotted leaf so prominent in the picture actually has roots and new leaf growing from it.
You can take the leaf off the plant and the new "plantlet" should still grow. I usually just "store" the dying leaves some-where unobtrusive in the tank until the new plant is big enough to remove.
and ozelot swords.
I think the new leaves look all right (the large leaf on right looks like a new leaf).

Because the Swords are produced emersed it takes a while for the plant to get used to being submersed, and the old terrestrial leaves will begin to die off (as they brown you can remove them).

cheers Darrel

OK thanks Darrel. Appreciate the help.

Are additional fertilisers something I should be thinking off as well or would the plant soil I put in be enough for the small amount of plants I currently have?

Back