• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL diffuser and yeast DIY

Yes you can use diy with one of those, I have one I'm not using with an extension to go with it. There are advantages and disadvantages to using one. On the plus very simple, no back pressure so co2 leaks from the diy and simple to use. Problems are there very bulky in a small tank and I found that the bubbles seem to get to the top and exit a bit quick for my liking also the narrow slits in the side make contact with the surrounding water a bit iffy.
The secret of good diffusion of co2 in the tank is down too a couple of things, holding the co2 under the water long enough for it too mix or having tiny co2 bubbles. Hence you will see people using atomic diffusers or having the co2 pumped into inlets of filters or being held in a chamber where water is flowing to get maximum diffusion.

Some of the glass diffusers with ceramic will work with a well sealed diy set up but any sort of leak will stop them working. As an entry level way of getting co2 in there what your looking at is a start but you probably will end up wanting to change it later.

If you have a yeast set up, and get on with it OK, what is the best diffuser? I have a ladder type which I got with my nutrafin kit but have wondered if it can be bettered as I have plenty of bubbles on the move all the time.

There are multiple ways of getting co2 in the water, the ladder types, glass diffusers, atomisers and reactors that are built into the outlet of filters as well as injecting into the filter itself.

All have advantages and disadvantages, DIY will work on most except the atomisers to some effect, generally the two best ways are to hold the co2 in the water for as long as possible or to have the co2 bubbles that go in the water as small as possible. The problem with tiny bubbles and atomisers they usually require high pressure to work not usually possible with diy. Some of the glass diffusers will work with co2 if you want to go down the small bubble route.

Have a search on you tube for diy co2 aquarium and you can see some innovative ways that people have connected their co2 to filter outlets or made stuff up with various bits and pieces.

Just bear in mind if you want any small bubble set up you will be working with gas under pressure so any leaks and it will stop working.

Back