• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kittydama

Jimmymac

Having been looking around for for a substrate.... I have come across this Kittydama saying its being used as a alternative to Akadama and is described as a hard calcified clay product, that does not break down.

Anyone have any experience of this clay?
Cheers

Hi, welcome to ukaps, I have used "moler clay" catlitter for around 15years and like it. It doesn't break down even after many years in water. It has a high CEC but no added fertilisers. It looks pink in the bag to ages to a mid brown. May need a good washing before use to remove dust and perfume.
Check that it does state Moler clay, some products use bentonite or other clays which do break down quickly and cloud the water.
Cheers
John

Hi, welcome to ukaps, I have used "moler clay" catlitter for around 15years and like it. It doesn't break down even after many years in water. It has a high CEC but no added fertilisers. It looks pink in the bag to ages to a mid brown. May need a good washing before use to remove dust and perfume.
Check that it does state Moler clay, some products use bentonite or other clays which do break down quickly and cloud the water.
Cheers
John
Hi, Thanks for reply. How do you find the grain size of the catlitter? IE for planting and is there a possibility of anaerobic air pockets because of the smaller grain size?

Its the grain size is putting me off a bit and now caught in to minds whether just to go for the Akadama although its twice the price.

Cheers

I dont worry about anaerobic areas, originally I had a layer of coarse gravel, then cat litter topped with coarse river sand but now its all mixed. Planting is ok except for things like glossostigma and small carpeting plants with very small roots . Its similar to Tropica aquasoil in my opinion.

I think the Kittyfriend one is unscented. I have the same bag as in the first Amazon link and I can't smell anything. I had the old Tesco stuff years ago and it reeked of "perfume", horrible. In fact I found half a ten-plus year old bag of the Tesco stuff in the shed and I could still smell it! The only problem with the Kittyfriend Pink is the size of the granules, the bag I have has pieces up to 1cm across. I plan to use it bagged under sand, for which it will be fine, but as a main substrate I think too big a grain size? (It is also very good for adding to the potting mix for containerised trees)

Is diatomite the same as moler clay? Or would a kitty litter made of diatomite be the same as those made of moler clay?

Is diatomite the same as moler clay? Or would a kitty litter made of diatomite be the same as those made of moler clay?
Quick Wikipedia search says it’s not but I don’t know enough to be able to say can it be used in an aquarium.

I think the Kittyfriend one is unscented. I have the same bag as in the first Amazon link and I can't smell anything. I had the old Tesco stuff years ago and it reeked of "perfume", horrible. In fact I found half a ten-plus year old bag of the Tesco stuff in the shed and I could still smell it! The only problem with the Kittyfriend Pink is the size of the granules, the bag I have has pieces up to 1cm across. I plan to use it bagged under sand, for which it will be fine, but as a main substrate I think too big a grain size? (It is also very good for adding to the potting mix for containerised trees)
Thanks, very useful info. You’re right, description says it’s unscented, I didn’t notice it first time reading.

Back