• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Led lighting for a 3 foot tank

Tknoxx

Seedling
I'd like to get some lighting for a topless 3 foot long tank. Preferably low energy - so maybe LED? The plants will be mostly simple low light plants. Any ideas of what would be most suitable. I don't want to spend a huge amount on it if possible as it's only for a clearseal.

Would a single T5 not be enough?

3ft is 39w so ok on the low energy, depending on how low you were thinking of obviously. It's also a lot cheaper than going down the LED route. Even cheaper if you pick a second hand ballast up and a generic T5 bulb.

Seen as though its topless you'll need a reflector, or if you want it to look half decent, I've seen single luminaries available.

A beamswork unit is probably the cheapest led option. TMC Aquabars give a nicer colour though and can be dimmed.

Thanks for the information. I know very little about lighting so this is a silly question but I have to learn somehow. Whats the best way to use t5 lighting for a topless tank?

The beamswork unit looks like it is very close to the tank... and is very strong so a t5 maybe the best idea.

It depends really, is this for a display tank or a little project in a spare room for example?

You threw me by saying "its only a clearseal" I took it as you not being bothered about looks and it was hid away or something lol

If this is the case all you will need is a T5 ballast, a bulb and reflector. You'll need some way to mount it too.

If you want it to look half decent you're going to need a luminaire or pendant type thing. These are available with just one T5 bulb, I personally haven't come across a lot on my travels but they do exist. Having a search around google or eBay would probably be your best bet.

Failing that, 2 x T5 pendants are pretty common so you could go with that and just run 1 bulb if 2 proved to be too much.

Isle of Lewis lol! So not very exotic at all! More wild and rugged!

lol Still very beautiful :thumbup:

How far from the coast are you? I'd be setting a reef up as well if you're not too far. You have an endless supply of clean sea water :)

Obviously this is as well as the planted tank, I wouldn't want to get told off for losing UKAPS a member :lol:

I have one of these lights on my 3 foot. There are 3 t5s inside, but you can switch to have the middle 1 on, outside 2 on or all 3. That would allow you to run the 1 tube for low tech and then you have the option of putting the other tubes on if you ever wanted to run high tech. It's really not a lot more expensive either than buying a starter unit and bulb, and then is neater as it's all in one unit and you don't need to think about mounting, reflectors etc. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261280849...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I don't think the led strip you linked to would do, i tried something similar on my 30cm cube and it was a joke. You can get the beamswork in single or double strength and if you can hang it from something then you can vary the height if you need to. I have the single strength on my shrimp tank. I think the light Claire has linked to is your best option for flexibility.

There's a few different people sell the same one, if you search for aquarium overhead light or something.

Back