• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LEDs are cool :)

wazuck

I don't think I've ever been this excited over a light. I mean yeah waiting for my arcadia 2xt5 luminaire got me a little bit excited but that was £100 piece of kit. I'm trying out a 6w LED bulb over a 20L nano and I've only just taken my eyes off the tank. For £10 for the desk lamp + the bulb is a bargain. Sure the colour rendition isn't as great but who cares when the tank gets brought to life with that sexy shimmer. It had optics on so it's a nice spot light effect with the fish constantly swimming in and out of the beam. I keep being drawn to the tank everytime I see that little flash of a fish passing through in the corner of my eye. I can't wait to scape this tank properly. I can see myself being lost in the underwater world for hours. Already have a fixture with two bulb fittings to do a larger tank.

Whoa whoa whoa...share the find buddy :)
Where did you get it from?

Yeah I filled my 'Ryuoh Lagoon' up last night. (see thread in sig) and Ive hot a Grobeam Tile. Which is my first LED fixture.

You should have seen the ripple effect in the tank, which was replicated by a mesmerising display on the ceiling.

I Don't have a £500+ camera at disposal so I wont be able to capture it yet :(

That's exactly my problem. The shimmer is amazing. But I can't take a picture of it. I have a video but can't upload via my phone. I also have the grobeam 1000ND and the mini 400. Oh and of course the controller. Just waiting to build all the parts to then use the 1000 on my 35cm opti cube. My light I got on the cheap was a 35w halogen desk lamp that takes GU10 bulbs, remember paying around £5-1" for it. The bulb I got on auction for £5-10 and it's a Cree 3x2w led bulb in cool white. Here is a pic.
5284f4de-f006-4bfa.jpg
not good quality and it needs to be raised a lot more to get better coverage but I do kind of like the beam the fish swim in and out of.

The light was an eBay bargain :). Yeah it does look pretty big but as I'm raising it pretty high it will look a lot better than having the mini 400 up there. I'm doing an emersed canopy over the tank so I thought I would use the 1000 to punch through the plants. Hoping to get some nice god rays :D

wazuck said:
The light was an eBay bargain :). Yeah it does look pretty big but as I'm raising it pretty high it will look a lot better than having the mini 400 up there. I'm doing an emersed canopy over the tank so I thought I would use the 1000 to punch through the plants. Hoping to get some nice god rays :D

Will you be running it at 100% over that nano ? I got a 1000ND growbeam that was originally for my nano but its like the blackpool illuminations ! LOL. Do you reckon one tile would be enough for a 80x45x55 tank ?

Back