• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting advice

parotet

Hi all

My 65 liters tank, lit now with two 24w T5HO cheap tubes (Odyssea 10.000 ºK and Aqualight 6.500ºK), is being rescaped. I am introducing some reddish plants and I got a new black background to enhance the contrast. White sand has also been covered with black soil. The tank will have plants and only plants... no hardscape at all.

I was quite happy with the lights until now as the greens were very sharp and the white sand looked also great. Also the back of the tank was a white wall... but now red plants seemed to fade under this light combination. One more thing: I really noticed it when I dropped some stems of Alternanthera reinickii, that were going to be planted later, in a tank lit only with 6.500ºK led lights... it was incredible how the purple leaves looked under this light.

I'm not sure what to do... maybe switching two 6.500ºK will kill my sharp greens making them yellowish. Should I try something not so high in temperature as 10.000ºK, for example the different Osram/Sylvania/Philips 8000-9000ºK range (therefore combination of 6.500 and 8.000/9.000 ºK?). Maybe changing the 10.000ºK bulb by a Grolux bulb (nice purples/reds but will kill completely my greens?).

Obviously I won't buy snake oils, just cheap and non-aquarist bulbs.

Jordi

Thanks Andy, I've finally ordered this afternoon a pink coloured tube for 9,90€
I will let you know how it looks in my tank :)

Jordi

Back