• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting with a dimmer question

Wolf6

Hi all,

I'm working on starting a second tank (first one is green refuge) which will feature LED lighting with a dimmer with sunrise/sunset functionality. I intend to have quite a long 'sunrise' and 'sunset' but now comes the question:

I want to start off with about 6 hours of light, but when do the 'hours' start counting, at which intensity?

Technical information about the light:
I'm using 2x daytime Cluster LED 60 (with each 2 LED clusters), 2400 lumen / 20 watt per daytime cluster so 4800 lumen/40 watt in total, tank is 70 L x 50 W x 45 H.

I had something like this in mind for the startup phase:
Start cycle at 12:00: light (both daytimes) comes on to about 25% (meaning its at 25% at 13:00, taking one hour to build up from 0)
13:00: Light goes up to about 50% (meaning that at 14:00 its at 50% and so on)
14:00: Light goes up to about 75% on daytime 1
15:00: Light goes up to about 75% on daytime 2
17:00: Light daytime 1 starts to go down again to 50%
18:00 Light daytime 2 starts to go down to 50%
19:00 Light daytime1 starts to go down to 25%
20:00 Light daytime 2 starts to go down to 25%
21:00 Light daytime 1 goes to 0
22:00 Light daytime 2 goes to 0

But I'm not sure how much light this effectively is, is this long enough, too little, or maybe even too much? I can find very little on this. Anyone have any information on this or better yet, have personal experience with this sort of thing? I'm going to be monitoring very closely to see how plants respond and watch for algea as clues, but as I'm not a very experienced scaper yet, it would be nice to have some tips.

My 'end' goal would be to have 1 hour sunrise to 75%, 2 hours build up 75% to 100%, 2 hours at 100%, 3 hours going down to 75%, 2 hours sunset 75% to 0.

Additional info: I'm going to be doing EI dosing and 50% water change weekly, and pressurized CO2 administering via inline diffuser/reactor. During startup I will add easycarbo as well.

Plants I intend to keep are:
Blyxa Japonica
Rotala Macrandra
Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'
Hydrocotyle tripartita sp. Japan
hygrophila pinnatifida
Staurogyne repens
Glossostigma elatinoides
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Flame moss and weeping moss

If more information is needed let me know, other than that I really hope someone can point out some usefull information and tips!

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Wolf6

Back