• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting

Khoon

Seedling
Hi....
I have a 3ft planted tank with co2 and a 36w x4 pl lighting. How many hours should I keep the lights on per day?

Hi Khoon. Welcome to the forum.:) Could you be kind enough to give the details of your 3 footer please ( height, length & depth)

HI Khoon,
how many liters or gallons is your tank please.
for the lighting time it depend if your tank is newly set up or if it is running for more than a month.
so is it possible to know when your tank have been set up.
if it is newly set up, set your light at 6 hours and after a month increase slowly to reach 9 hours.
cheers
and welcome

Hi guys...
My tank is 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft. Should be about 180-200 liters. I had it running for about 6 weeks already. Thanks

Running for 6 weeks you should set it at 7,5 hours and for the next 3 weeks you can increase slowly to 9 hours.
i am not an expert but i think this is a good target !!
do you have any problems of algae or plants melting in your tank ? because i think your light is a bit high for a start !!? Are you new to planted tank or you already have experience in this ?
regards

Hi....I'm actually new at this. Initially had some small problem with algae but it seemed to be slowly disappearing. Now it's almost gone. Not to sure it's because of the Yamato shrimps or because I kept messing around with the water circulation (I read somewhere that good water circulation will minimize algae growth).

Hi khoon
Water flow is a must for planted tank.
The better flow you have the best distribution of nutrient and CO2 you will have. That why a better flow will help to fight algae !
Like you are saying that you are new to this I would advice you to reduce a bit your lighting ! I don't know your set up but you can do that by hanging higher your lights or to take out the reflectors if you have some.
Always monitor your CO2, your flow, being constant with dosing and proceed to water change mate.
As your biomass will increase you will have to adjust every thing ! Even flow will change with plant growth.
Hope that this help you a bit ?!

Cheers

I have the same size tank roughly. My lights are on for 5 hours a day and I only have 90w of light compared with your 144w!!!

Think you should start with 5 hours max and look to half the light.

Back