• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Product Review Living with an Oase Biomaster

The noise issue has resolved itself with a little time, it was never excessive, just something l could have done without.
Thanks for your thoughtsšŸ‘.
Iā€™ve found in the past that a light coating of biofilm on the impeller and the housing can have an effect on the noise. As a result I donā€™t religiously clean that area too much like I used to years ago.

Hey there
I think no one mentioned before what Iā€™m going to say (hopefully).
I used my BioMaster Thermo 850 fully loaded with Seachem Matrix and then just using original media. I found that with original media water looks much much clearer than when I used Matrix. With matrix there was always tiny particles floating in the water. I think original setup has so many sponges so they trap most of that. So my advice is better to stick to original setup.
Other than that I couldnā€™t see any other differences in plant and fish health and amount of algae.
Cheers

Iā€™ve tried a few different things in my Biomaster and it hasnā€™t altered the appearance of the water at all.
Different media may affect the flow, but I donā€™t know how much?

I have had the oase biomaster /heater (although I dont use a heater) 600 for several years now, never had any issues. Cleaned the filters regularly. I only have a 90lt aquarium with only one huge goldfish and two japanese sucker fish. Last week we came home to see it had been leaking - so I have changed the main gasket thinking this might be it, but no, the leaks are coming from the hinges. So then I read a feed on here about the inlet and outlet pipe housing, so ordered a new one and changed that.....still leaking. I have checked that the power cable is seated correctly, but the water seems to be filling the top chamber which I am sure it didnt before. anyone got any clues? I don't really want to go out and buy a new one seeing as I have just purchased all these extra parts and as I say up until now I have been extremely happy with the unit.
Have you checked the hose adapter, there are two o rings inside it, mine had become damaged on the adapter itself (see photo) and this was causing water to slowly trickle down the side, and was also filling up the head. I contacted Oase and they were useless, I had to buy a new hose adapter due to them taking 5 weeks to send a replacement, which I had to pay for. If you look under the I ring, you can see where the plastic has sheared off, I'm not the only one to suffer with this.

Attachments

• 20240510_134022.jpg
    20240510_134022.jpg
    935.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240510_134019.jpg
    20240510_134019.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 11
Iā€™ve found in the past that a light coating of biofilm on the impeller and the housing can have an effect on the noise. As a result I donā€™t religiously clean that area too much like I used to years ago.
My new OBM850 has a bit of a hum to it. It is a virgin filter and I'm cycling a new tank. Although it is not too loud, I am an audiophile and it definitely colours the hi-fi sound. Roll on the Biofilm :cool:

Hey there
I think no one mentioned before what Iā€™m going to say (hopefully).
I used my BioMaster Thermo 850 fully loaded with Seachem Matrix and then just using original media. I found that with original media water looks much much clearer than when I used Matrix. With matrix there was always tiny particles floating in the water. I think original setup has so many sponges so they trap most of that. So my advice is better to stick to original setup.
Other than that I couldnā€™t see any other differences in plant and fish health and amount of algae.
Cheers
I've gone with the original media in my 850 and thank you for your observation/test of the Seachem Matrix. Well noted. :cool:
Cheers, Brian

My new OBM850 has a bit of a hum to it. It is a virgin filter and I'm cycling a new tank. Although it is not too loud, I am an audiophile and it definitely colours the hi-fi sound. Roll on the Biofilm :cool:
If you are looking for more hum then I recommend adding Oase CrystalSkim on topšŸ˜ Though I love my Oase combo. Having filter outlet and skimmer at the opposite ends makes flow turbocharged šŸ‘

If you are looking for more hum then I recommend adding Oase CrystalSkim on topšŸ˜ Though I love my Oase combo. Having filter outlet and skimmer at the opposite ends makes flow turbocharged šŸ‘
I found myself some stainless steel lilies, with a bobbing surface skimmer, which makes a bit of a row if the water is a bit choppy. Looks good though.
I have a Jebao ALW-20 circ pump. I had to dial the pump down to 30% in my naked cycling tank as it was shifting my aqua soil and powder around. It buried a couple of stones too. I'll have to dig them out at the next water change and planting :(

Back