• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Malay Hillstream Riparium - Video!

hydrophyte

Borneo Swamp Forest Riparium

This is a tank that I have had set up for some time. The enclosure is a 56-gallon (212 litre) Column aquarium. It was half neglected just serving as a growout tank, but the other night I got it cleaned up.

22-IX-12-tank-I-m.jpg

The general idea is to create a loose representation of a Borneo swamp forest with representative plants and fish. I already have some pretty cool plants in there and I will add a few more.

I'll try to work on this and post more updates soon!

mattb180 said:
Shall keep an eye on this one.

I'll try to keep working on it and post more updates.

Here is another variation that I think I might add to this setup. The 37G native Wisconsin, USA riparium (sorry for this low-quality photo) includes a manzanita branch feature and I think something like it might look good with this Borneo tank too. I could mount orchids such as Bulbophyllum on it. It think it would look good to add more variety of texture to the above water area to contrast with those palm leaves.

24-VII-12-tank-I-m.jpg

Hi all,
Here is another variation that I think I might add to this setup. The 37G native Wisconsin, USA riparium (sorry for this low-quality photo) includes a manzanita branch feature and I think something like it might look good with this Borneo tank too. I could mount orchids such as Bulbophyllum on it. It think it would look good to add more variety of texture to the above water area to contrast with those palm leaves.
Excellent idea, I'd extend some of the branches down into the water as well. Could you ditch the gravel? I'm pretty sure that you would have a peat, sand or silt bottom, with a lot of leaf litter.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrell! I think that I am going to keep that gravel. This setup is only supposed to be a loose interpretation with a few more or less representative fish and plants, so I am not trying to achieve such strict authenticity. That gravel looks pretty good in photos.

Alastair said:
Will keep a keen eye on this hydro, nice to see you over on here again :)

Thanks Alastair!

This picture is from another setup, my 50G riparium, that I don't have a journal for yet, but I want to share it quick.

Lasia spinosa is a crazy-looking swamp aroid from Southeast Asia. I've been growing it for some time in that tank and a couple of weeks ago I noticed it developing a floral spathe! It opened up and I got a few pictures. It is really stunning and with a strong scent of ripe bananas.

3-X-12-Lasia-spinosa-spathe-I-m.jpg

The rhizome of my Lasia spinosa is covered with vicious thorns. I pulled it out today to cut up the rhizome into several new pieces to stat more with, but then decided that I want to try to get a few more pictures of it. So I just put it back in the tank again.

6-X-12-Lasia-spinosa-rhizome-I-m.jpg

I'm finally back to work on this thing.

It took me a long time, but I think that I've figured out to resolve the rest of the visual design and the fish stocking. I will post more details later today.

Here's a quick view in through the top. I like this new configuration much better. I'll have a few more pictures on the way.

26-XII-12-tank-I-b.jpg

Thanks Alastair! That is a rather unusual collector plant, Pandanus pygmaeus.

I have finally figured out fish selection for this tank. It took me a long time! I am going to leave the Danio albolineatus in there, and add a group of these...

SeriouslyFish.com: Sewellia lineolata

This is a great fish and I found a local source with a real good price. I am going to pick them up on Monday.

So, this is not a Borneo-themed tank anymore; S. lineolata are from Vietnam. The D. albolineatus occur in Vietnam as well.

This is exciting to finally have this figured out. I hope that I can get these loaches to acclimate well. If I can the rest of the setup all configured and cleaned up I will have lots of pictures on the way soon.

I got the new fish!

This thing is looking a little chaotic while I finish setting it up. I am going to add another powerhead, but I dropped a couple of fast air stones in it in the meantime.

9-I-13-Sewellia-II-m.jpg

These Sewellia like to be right in the current...

9-I-13-Sewellia-I-m.jpg

Cool fish for a stream type set up. Your large round river pebbles and gravel will be ideal with the power head your adding, they love oxygen rich water.
Look forward to more pics.
Ady.

Cool fish for a stream type set up. Your large round river pebbles and gravel will be ideal with the power head your adding, they love oxygen rich water.
Look forward to more pics.
Ady.

Thanks mate! I might have another update with another new fish species tonight. I asked a local shop to try to order in some Shistura sumo loaches and they might have them tonight. That is another pretty cool hillstream species.

Since I changed the theme for this setup I need to change the name, or start a new journal.

I think that I improved the plant layout in here. I moved one of the grassy Pandanus plants over to the left side to make more of a mound-shaped planting.

12-I-13-tank-I-b.jpg

This looks great!
The balance of emersed and submersed is very good, there's enough water and plant life. May be unintentional, and may not last, but the leaf that has fallen and is in the water looks very natural.
The new planting scheme works well too with the 'mound' following the directionality and balance of the river pebble placement below.
How have the loaches settled?
Really like this one.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back