• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my 200 gallon plywood build

Gilles

So i have been a bit quiet over here, due to the fact that i was very busy at work and i have worked on my secret project. I've managed to finish my new tank a little over 7 months ago.

Specs are:
- 180x70x70 plywood tank with glass front
- No stabilizers (e.g. i have full movement over the tank)
- Pump connections all through the bottom of the tank
- 2x Eheim 2078 filtration
- Up Aqua Atomizer for CO2
- Profilux 3 controlled
- Profilux 3 dosing computer
- 5x 80w maxium light, dimmable by the Profilux 3 (DALI protocol)
- LEDs for the Profilux 3 (thunderstorms)
- Auto top off
- Auto water change with RO water (5% every night)

Here are the pics of the build.

Design:
The blue parts on the canopy are ventilation shafts. As you can see inside the canopy i have placed my ballasts and made such a channeling that the outside/room air flows from the center back over the ballasts inside my hood (warm air) and at the sides the moist air is going out.

3d-bak1.jpg

3d-bak2.jpg

3d-lichtkap1.jpg

3d-lichtkap3.jpg

3d-lichtkap4.jpg

3d-ventilatie.jpg

Construction:
I was constructing this tank for over 2 years. It was a hobby project so a lot of time and money went into it. It all starts with supplies :)

IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5074.jpg

IMG_5075.jpg

IMG_5076.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

Reinforcements:
First, i painted the plywood with an epoxy resin to make it water proof. Next i wanted absolutely NO stabilizers in the tank. Therefore i had to reinforce the front since the top bar has to little 'wood' to support the front window. So i ordered a steel beam and got crazy with the drill.

IMG_5624.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

IMG_5626.jpg

IMG_5628.jpg

IMG_5630.jpg

Background, attempt 1:
Next up was the background. First i applied several layers of fiber glass matt to enforce the casing. In total there are about 3 layers of fiberglass. I wanted to incorporate wood into my background, although i am aware of the risks (rotting and the fact that it becomes a part of the layout)

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

Background, attempt 2:
I was not happy with the above background. The friend which helped me had some good insights, but i wanted to have a planted tank. To much background equals less space for plants. So i decided to redo it. This is the result. If you look closely, you can see the return pipes (in both sides at the front of the glass) and my emergency overflow, the green cascet). Pump intakes are behind in the tank.

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Background, finalizing:
Next up is to finish the background. First step involves adding concrete to the background. Why concrete? Since this makes it possible to smooth out holes and make a more rock-like structure. After the (Portland) cement i started adding "Elastopur" basically this is rubber like, 2-component glue-ish stuff which hardens in about 45 minutes, so you have to work fast. The color is yellow-ish but you can add pigment to make it more your own taste. I added brown and immediately after putting on the elastopur i added sand to make it even more naturally. It then looks like this....

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

Next up, canopy:
So i've used some lamp holders from ebay and arraged my lights according to the design which is at the top of this post. Not a lot of pictures, but here goes.

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

Moving the tank:
After one month of test running in the garage where i built the tank (my wife is not that happy with 750 liters of water in the living room), i decided to move the tank indoors. I already had the holes for AWC so that helped a lot. In the pictures you also see my trafo, giving 12v. It is behind my tank so that means i can't access it anymore but as long as it works i am happy. It powers my Profilux and connected appliances so i don't have to use that much power adapters. The first picture shows the reinforcements i made at the back of the tank to make sure it doesn't bend.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

Plumbing the AWC:
Not much plumbing to do, i had everything pretty much figured out and since i had to fill the tank with water anyway, most of the parts where already in place. However, i still had to do my AWC system which is illustrated in the next pictures.

The 'beast' consists of the following parts:
- The left pipe is the pipe which is directly connected to the tank. This means i can use the valve to quickly drain my tank or to get some water to water my plants :)
- The second pipe from the left is attached to a water solenoid. Currently i am using a different solenoid since the one in the picture required back pressure before it opened. Picture is to follow.
- Third pipe from the left (the long straight one) is directly connected to my emergency overflow and goes to my sewer. Basically the drain pipe.
- Forth pipe from the left (e.g. the right one) is connected to the blue waste water line of my R/O unit.

The last picture shows the different solenoids i have used. The left one is now in place and works like a charm, draining 5% (40 liters) in about 2 minutes. I could have increased this, but that meant i had to use a bigger pipe (20mm) instead of 16mm which is now in place.

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

Finalizing the build:

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

Adding the LEDs to the canopy:

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

Next post will be about the stainless steel tubes which i have used to connect the dosing unit, and the first pics of the second scape (sorry, no pics of the first one)

I've only seen one or two posts on the plywood tanks and the first one I saw I thought was crazy. You have raised the bar with this one. The final image looks awesome.

The gadgets all looked neat and arranged. Top Job. :thumbup:

Now I hope for your sake it holds water for many years to come.

it should be fine with that fibre glass its basically a big bath tub.

it does look superb though especially impressed with the sculpting of the concrete background very impressive

Wow! what an Incredible project, very well done and a massive project at that - it really is nice to see all the photos right from scratch to the current state, really well done and very creative.

Wow, thats amazing, were are the dimensions, I couldn't see them if you posted them.

Whoa!

Awesome Journal, Its great you have put so much effort into your Jounral so that you can share this amazing creation with all of us!

I am seriously impressed with the level of finish you have achieved.

Keep the journal going!

Andyh

This is insane!

Looks very professional and I love the way the scape is framed by the plywood panel.

Wow, incredible journal and an outstanding achievement.

p.s. previously i was stocking the plants really really thight (dutch style). The substrate on the last picture is Earthworm castings (EC) topped with Flourite Black Sand. I've switched this weekend to ADA New Amazonia, so my plant scape is yet to develop.

Wow! I have never seen a plywood tank before.

That is one serious project, Nice one, Looks Great!

Back