• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First 30L - Shrimp Are In

Re: My First Real Aqua Scape - 30L

spill50 said:
LP:
not sure, I can't tell which bit you mean. I will take a proper look when I get home at 5. If it's algae I'll scrape it off, then spot dose easy carbo. I hope it's not algae already.

No its not Algae Spill, i think its bacteria from the wood but and i believe its normal to happen when wood goes in the tank fr the first time.

LP

My First Real Aqua Scape - 30L

Well my co2 glassware arrived today, well some of it, I'm still waiting for all the suction cups and bubble counter but I managed to piece it all together with other bits of kit I had so I now have pressurised co2 on the tank. I'll upload photos later. I'm loving the nano diffuser but the glass check valve is getting annoying already. It makes a constant clicking sound as the gas pushes the inner bit up and then it drops again. This may need to be replaced :)

I also had a problem with my solenoid. I got it from china so it came with an adapter, plugged it into my timer and it wouldn't work. So I plugged it straight into the socket turned it on, it made a click noise then stopped working. So I got my fixing cap on took it to bits to see if it was anything obvious, couldn't see anything but I noticed it had 3 connectors for three core cable. So I stripped the existing cable out removing the 2 pin plug and replaced it with a fused 3 pin plug and 3 core cable so it now has a ground as well. Put it all back together, plugged it in and now it's working perfectly, yeay :)

It's been a week now since i set the tank up and I'm getting some growth on the HC which is good so I'm wondering when would be the best time to give it a trim as it still seems quite delicate in the substrate so any advice would be appreciated.

Re: My First Real Aqua Scape - 30L

Hi guys,

Well it's been up and running for 3 weeks now so I thought I'd post a photo. I'm getting 'OK' growth from the HC and the Eleocharis acicularis has started expanding to new areas. I think I need to give the HC a bit of a trim. It's also ready for me to add some live stock, so I ordered 6 Cherry Shrimp from Aqua Essentials today so they will be arriving tomorrow. It's the first time I've kept shrimp so I'm quite excited about getting them in the tank. I'd have put them in my 120L but my Pearl Gouramis would probably make a nice snack out of them.

Anyway here's the latest photo. I'll post more photos tomorrow when I've got the little fellas settled.

30l-photo-010.jpg

Re: My First 30L - Shrimp Arriving Tomorrow

Hi
Like your tank and setup look very natural,just a quick question how is your reg holding up? i've been looking on t'ebay but there's that many out east can you recommend
Paul

Thanks Paul,

I have lots of photos of the Cherry and CRS shrimp now as well. I'll post them when I have a few minutes. Just been really busy the past week. I think one of the CRS is pregnant :)

The reg is going good, easy to get fine control out of the needle valve. The solenoid is silent, just get the click when it turns on/off. However the plug adapter that came with it was rubbish and I ended up just replacing the cable with 3 core and the plug with a standard UK 3 pin. My other post about it:

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18007

Hope that helps.

Richard

Hi Richard
Thanks for the reply one reg now ordered,did you get your shrimp local ? look forward to seeing photos once i have mine set up will be introducing some shrimp & just maybe they'll survive !!!
Paul

Hi all,

I've finally managed to sort some time out to get these photos uploaded. I added 7 cherry shrimp initially aqua essentials very kindly sent me an extra one though it was only 1.5-2mm I haven't seen it since so don't know if it actually survived. The weekend after I was at my local Maidenhead Aquatics and noticed they had 3 CRS hidden away in a tiny little tank and was told by the staff that no one actually notices they are there and they've had them for a while so I snapped them up for £3.50 each to give them a nice home in my tank.

Anyway I got them home and decided to take a few shots while they were still in the bag. If the shrimp experts could take a look at the CRS on the left, is she pregnant? She has also bee hiding for the past few days. The other 2 tend to move around the tank a lot more.

I also have a concern about feeding them. I'm adding a few Genchem white pellets each day but it hardly ever gets touched. Am I right in thinking they must be getting enough food elsewhere? I'm also adding Genchem Biozyme everyday.

Anyway here's the photos. Not bad for a phone :D

30l-photo-011.jpg

30l-photo-012.jpg

30l-photo-013.jpg

Thats a beautiful setup mate :D love the natural look.
Just a bit of advice, I'm working in a similar setup and I found that if you position the spray bar facing downward towards the co2 diffuser you'll find that it will push the co2 bubbles back down giving them more time to diffuse and provide better co2 circulation.

Your shrimps are so cool :D
Kieren

Back