• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New 300litre tank!

that table doesnt look man enough to me even with the reinforcement you have put on it
I agree that stand won't hold for long, then again have seen worse

Btw I'm a jack of all by trade, I would say build a stand and matching canopy, just for the piece of mind

that table doesnt look man enough to me even with the reinforcement you have put on it
Only time will tell its rock solid now and the timber is soild Oak so only time will tell.

I agree that stand won't hold for long, then again have seen worse

Btw I'm a jack of all by trade, I would say build a stand and matching canopy, just for the piece of mind
Would like to buy another stand, but I'm into recycling and everything I use is vintage I don't believe this should be a rushed or expensive hobby and using old stuff means if it fails then so be it.
Ghostly you need more plants in your current tank!;)

Anyways as you guys kindly bumpted my thread I used two old Eheim spray bars joined with 12mm plastic tubing and started to work out if the flow was crap and its not ideal IMO, but would prefer more flow!
The issues are that the pipe kinks at the top of the outlet tube and have decided to place a hard piece of plastic to take the weight of the outlet pipe for less restriction.
Stuck some food in the empty tank to follow the flow and there is enough for Goldfish.
Filterations is another matter, the stock inlet pipe is about 5" short of reaching the bottom and have ordered the extra long intake pipe for this very tall tank.
The HOB is a vacumn cleaner for fish poo and I use it sometimes as a HOB filter it cascades over the ledge of the tank really well creating nice aggitation on the surface.
Its going to cycle for a four weeks, but cranking the temp and dropping prawns, crushed snails will feed the ammonia.
I even have black sticky industrial cling film which I might dark out the tank to speed the Nitrogen cycle up a bit.
20150326_191629.jpg
20150326_191559.jpg
20150326_191532.jpg
20150326_191524.jpg
20150326_191455.jpg

Well it took just a little over four weeks for the filter to cycle, covering her up makes the bacteria grow quicker due to the fact the bacteria does not like light when colonising.
20150330_160936.jpg
I've only started to stick some Anubis onto the wood used super glue much easier than cotton.
I've decided to keeping a bare floor for the goldfish!
Makes cleaning up the mess much easier.
I have three Pearl Danios and two Leopards to see if the bio load is good before the goldfish goes in.
Sorry for rubbish pictures as its only just started.
I'm going to use free standing shot glasses I have laying around fill them with gravel and dirt see if they grow?
Very clean tank this will be, and it also means I can free up the other tank for some serious gardening some of the oxygenated plants are nearly enough 3ft in length due to growth.
20150425_115633.jpg
20150425_115611.jpg
I can mount a second spray bar, but not sure where proberly right underneath the Ehiem one?
20150410_122809.jpg

I love it,
You do not really need spray bars though. No substrate to worry about, slower growing plants in the middle normal outflows would work just as well.

Hey karla cat had kittens so house hold been busy of late!
Well the newly cycled tank needs the extra filter-spray bar LOL
A short vid of the tank working on floating islands at the mo so need time to seed it.

Lol, I had to read your post three times. I read it as Karla has had kittens! Kitties need cuddles so I can see why you have been busy.
I love video, its very different without a substrate. I'm wondering if you could stick a big java fern on to the glass behind the wood, with a dab of waterproof sealant?

LOL sorry was rushing and I tend to leave puncuation out.
Yeah I have some shot glasses that I intended to place behind the whole wood and have live plants growing behind, to get the illusion of no substrate.
I've ordered some netting, but having a bad time in bonding the plastic together for my floating islands.
Tried two types of super glue, but the netting has limited surface area to bond to might use some fishing wire instead?
I can only use Java Moss as its cold water wanted some fissidens moss but only grows above 69F.
I have some marino moss balls that I want to take apart and mount onto the netting but have not thought much about it.

Got some new Orandas, but wanted some advice I trying to make some structures with green plastic wired mesh. The issues are I can't seem to bond plastic to it either its has a some coating on it or there is not enough material that bonds? I've used Ista super glue and Locttite super glue nothing works might use fishing wire and start sewing the dam pieces together opinions on a suitable glue non toxic?

Back