• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank,mature filter

Nelson

I'm just setting up a new tank and need to close another one down.
I'll be using the mature filter from the old tank.
The soil in the new tank doesn't leech ammonia.

Do you see any problems with putting the fish,from the old tank,in ?.

I may be new but read lots. But good question :thumbup:

My take would be you would be fine.
Reasons.
No ammonia in soil or maybe very little
Mature filter so ready to go - maybe just don't let it filter stand for too long with no water flowing through it, even if it just a bucket with your old tank water. Those bacteria need that gaseous exchange to keep them happy.

But I'm sure someone will point out any of my wrong assumptions and stuff I have even thought off.

Zeus

I'm just setting up a new tank and need to close another one down.
I'll be using the mature filter from the old tank.
The soil in the new tank doesn't leech ammonia.

Do you see any problems with putting the fish,from the old tank,in ?.
Don't forget that at least a small part of the nitrogen cycle can also happen on the soil, so once moved I would give it at least a couple of days before adding fish, even with a cycled filter.

Also, remember that if you have your filter not running for more than a few hours, some of the bacteria will die, so depending on the amount of time needed to make this switch, you'll need to take that into consideration as well

Thanks guys.
It will only take 15-20 minutes to move the filter.
so once moved I would give it at least a couple of days before adding fish
I'll need to move the fish at the same time.

Got anything to keep old tank water moving, power head,air stone.... do water change very regular lowering toxic levels, increasing O2 levels in tank. Levels the lights on full time so plants keep producing O2 instead of using it at night. Plants may not like it if you plan to re-use them

Thanks guys.
It will only take 15-20 minutes to move the filter.

Yeah, if you're only taking a few minutes to change the filter, it shouldn't be a problem...
Maybe I'm just being extra careful, but I'm still unsure about the soil. Hopefully some of our "gurus" will give you better advice on this matter. :lol:

I'm using JBL Aquabasis+ and sand.I've contacted JBL,and they said it doesn't leech ammonia.

Hi all,
Are you re-using the plants in the new scape? If you aren't I'd definitely add some of the old tanks substrate to the new tank, it doesn't have to be very much.
Always worth a couple of weeks of regular 50% water changes to get the tank stable
I agree with the others I'd definitely up the water change frequency, and add some floating plants.

cheers Darrel

The majority of the bacteria is in your filter media so there are no issues with ammonia and nitrite. As the substrate is new you will need to monitor TDS and probably wc 50% a couple of times a week until this stabilizes.

Back