• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Non DIY Backup Power for Heater and Pump - Any recommendations l?

Little

Hi all
I’m looking at UPS and Camping Power supply devices to add some resilience in the event of a power cut.

I do not want to DIY.

My heater is 25w and Pump is 5w.
Looking for somthing that fits in a Kallax bookcase (30cm cube), can stay plugged in permanently and would cover a few hours of a power cut.

Anyone use a product or brand they can recommend?

Lots of such units around, just need to select one that fits your size, would expect most would be able to supply 230v AC at 30w for 2 hours, but do check their specs !
In that price range, probably all Far East made, though places like Machine Mart do have more expensive ones but at least their guarantee should be good.

Plugged in all the time, do you mean to the tank /heater as these are not a UPS that will do the switch over for you , or for the Mains supply to be constantly connected / charged, if the latter again check the devices manual.

Never used a ready made one, built our own years ago before such cheaper units around.

002018.jpg

My heater is 25w and Pump is 5w.
Looking for somthing that fits in a Kallax bookcase (30cm cube)

As this is just a small set up, perhaps a battery airpump would be enough. The temperature wouldn’t drop drastically in a couple of hours so your priority would be to keep the water oxygenated for livestock.

All Pond Solutions do a battery back up airpump although it doesn’t have a standby mode so needs to be running all the time and it isn’t the quietest. Other products exist.

1000030119.jpg

Icecap battery backup from the marine side runs in standby mode for up to 35 hours. But it's designed for variable speed DC pumps pumps and powerheads that are usually bigger than you need for that tank.

Seem there are now some quiet cheap and small UPS round instead of those we mentioned earlier.
However think we would be rather nervous about using any such non branded units as they use Lithium Ion batteries and you know what can happens to cheaper LI batteries when they are charged, so you need to do some research on the better brands.

002019.jpg

I think this will work size wise (tight fit but should be fine). It’s the only brand I recognise.
I have exactly six things that need power and only need resilience on two.
I was trying to work out how long it would power the 25w heater and 5w pump so I can decide what to use the third battery socket for… either the light, the co2 or the air pump.
after googling for a bit I still don’t quite understand.
IMG_2370.png

The manufacturer doesn’t give a capacity in Ah and the discharge rate won’t be linear (the manufacturer doesn’t supply it). Some run time examples are given however and the manufacturer says a 60W load will run for 80 minutes. It’s reasonable to assume then that on this unit you’re going to get in excess of 80 minutes run time for your 30W loads. How much more? Couldn’t tell you but you may get your two hours. 👍🏻

The CO2 solenoid will probably draw the least current in operation so that may be your best bet for the third socket if you wish to maximise run time.

Last edited:
If the intent is to use it during a power outage, I would stick to the bare essentials of heater and filter/powerhead/air pump. Lights and CO2 are only bonuses considering the UPS has limited run time and you never know how long a power outage will last. And why have CO2 if the lights are off anyway.

That is very much the case. Just to cover power cuts 👍

I have six items and six sockets. So the lowest power of the remaining items would need to go in the battery side….though, I could perhaps use a splitter on the non battery side (depending on space).

Finally had time to set this up:
IMG_2383.jpeg

I did go for a multi plug on the non battery side to maximise run time.

Screen reads 116mins backup running time.

Weirdly capacity shows 0%, maybe it only shows when on battery mode.

Will leave it to fully charge for the 8 hours the manual suggests and try a fake power cut tomorrow to test it properly.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_2385.jpeg
    IMG_2385.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2386.jpeg
    IMG_2386.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
You can probably assume that the heater won't be running full time during the power outage, so the total duration could be much longer than in the worse case scenario where it just stays on.

You can probably assume that the heater won't be running full time during the power outage, so the total duration could be much longer than in the worse case scenario where it just stays on.
I think you’re right. The estimate jumped up to 125 minutes earlier. I assume the estimate is based on the current power draw and that will change based on the room / tank temperature. Looking forward to a proper test tomorrow.

Back