• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PAR vs PUR - Latest Opinions in Planted Tanks

John, I think you might be better served and have a bit more positive spin if you simply try a few different color mixes and see what you like the best. I've held this view for maybe a decade or more.

I just keep trying different bulb types and combos till I happen on something that is most appealing to the eye. You can get an idea on line and over the net by looking at pics and asking folks also, then narrow the choices down.

If you see freaky magenta red colored plants= photo shop got away from them........so be careful.
I like many bulb fixtures so I can mix and match many different combos.

Given most will try a few different bulbs this way, it would seem better for the bulb makers/resellers to use this approach based on aesthetics and trial and error for each aquarist, than BS-ing the consumer. There's no easy answer to what is best for you, me or anyone else due to aesthetics and various goals and personal opinion.

You need to define what it is you like best.

plantbrain said:
John, I think you might be better served and have a bit more positive spin if you simply try a few different color mixes and see what you like the best. I've held this view for maybe a decade or more.

I just keep trying different bulb types and combos till I happen on something that is most appealing to the eye. You can get an idea on line and over the net by looking at pics and asking folks also, then narrow the choices down.

If you see freaky magenta red colored plants= photo shop got away from them........so be careful.
I like many bulb fixtures so I can mix and match many different combos.

Given most will try a few different bulbs this way, it would seem better for the bulb makers/resellers to use this approach based on aesthetics and trial and error for each aquarist, than BS-ing the consumer. There's no easy answer to what is best for you, me or anyone else due to aesthetics and various goals and personal opinion.

You need to define what it is you like best.

Partly that is the problem. I actually like the colour they put out. It's very natural. They just are not as powerful, both on the PAR meter and through the naked eye.

They look dim.

I see what you are saying thou. I can easily work with them, I just object to being fed BS when all they really needed to say was something along the lines of "you get what you pay for" and i'd have excepted it.

If I pop the reflectors on I imagine i'll come back up to 50 PAR that I tend to aim for and the whole tank will look brigher. I was just avoiding that as it makes maintenance a little bit more tricky.

Back