• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID please

andy-mu

Hi,

I'd seen the article on EI dosing and really like a couple of the plants in the picture.

I hope no one minds, but I used this image to see if anyone could help ID a couple of the plants.
The problem when you go onto tropical plant sites, is the plants very often don't look like what you
have seen in articles stating the specific species name. Even the same species on different plant sites
can vary in terms of the photo you see corresponding to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://dslr.org.uk/Plants.html

Thanks chilled.

The pogostemon stellata I think your right with. Google search shows up a varied selection that looks like this.

Tried Tropica for the micromodes but it didn't find anything.

Thanks for your quick response though

chilled84 said:
micromodes on he rght
pogostemon stellata on the left backround

Errr...no, not quite mate. :shh:
The highlighted area on the upper left of the photo is that of Limnophila aromatica, which you can read about in the thread Limnophila aromatica - The Rice Paddy Herb

The second area highlights the fabulous Micranthemum umbrosum, commonly referred to as "giant baby tears" or by the more pedestrian acronym MU.

andy-mu said:
The problem when you go onto tropical plant sites, is the plants very often don't look like what you have seen in articles stating the specific species name. Even the same species on different plant sites can vary in terms of the photo you see corresponding to it.
Well there are some very good reasons for that.

Firstly, aquatic plants generally have two forms, one in which they are growing out of the water and the other where they are growing submersed. These two forms often are radically different, so one has to be able sometimes to ascertain whether that website is showing the submersed or the emmersed form of that particular plant.

Secondly, plants within the same species have differing phenotypes, which means that depending on where the plant was collected it may have a slightly different form. We see the same variation in fish, so this ought not to be surprising.

Thirdly, the health of the plant and the condition in which it is living often has a huge impact on its shape, form and color. Plants living under well fed high tech conditions will very often appear different to the specimens growing under poor nutrient conditions.

andy-mu said:
I hope no one minds, but I used this image to see if anyone could help ID a couple of the plants.
No we do not mind at all, but we only ask for courtesy that you always provide the URL link of the topic or post that you obtained the image from so that interested parties can view the full context of that image or quote.

Cheers,

Thanks for your reply. You seem to be spot on with your identification. That is most helpful.

I will bear in mind the point you made regarding using an existing forum image, and will in future
provide a url link to the original topic.

Thanks

Andrew

Sorry, I had just read the text content and mentioned how you seemed spot on.

Only now I have noticed your avatar Clive and obviously you are spot on since they
are of course from a tank you own.

Many thanks once again, and to re-iterate comments already made on the link you provided
they are truly exceptional photographs and the tank is stunning. Really beautiful.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the kind words mate. Yeah, I thought the post was pretty funny actually. I was going to say that I was happy to be able to have figured it out.. :clap:

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the kind words mate. Yeah, I thought the post was pretty funny actually. I was going to say that I was happy to be able to have figured it out.. :clap:

Cheers,

Well Ceg glad you stepped in because none else did and i was the only person would did. I have had them plants to in my tank but i must have been incorrect, No to worry. Found the thread funny? How is that.

Hi mate,
Yeah, there can be so many similarities in form between different species that it's difficult to keep track. I have difficulties figuring out some of the different specimens and I forget which is which, especially if I move them around. An example of how difficult it can get is seen on this old Mark Evans thread saintlys sumatradriftwood scape

The reason I mentioned that andy-mu's post was funny was because it had taken a while for him to realize that the photo he was using to identify the plants was from my tank, get it? ;)

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hi mate,
Yeah, there can be so many similarities in form between different species that it's difficult to keep track. I have difficulties figuring out some of the different specimens and I forget which is which, especially if I move them around. An example of how difficult it can get is seen on this old Mark Evans thread saintlys sumatradriftwood scape

The reason I mentioned that andy-mu's post was funny was because it had taken a while for him to realize that the photo he was using to identify the plants was from my tank, get it? ;)

Cheers,

I totaly understand mate. :D No problems, Come in chat sometime.

Back