• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant issues - Can anyone help ?

kellyboy47

Juwel Vision 180l
2 x 35w T5 bulbs from 2pm - 8pm
Water change 30 litres weekly
JBL CrystalProfi E1501 700 l/h
Dose APF All in One / EasyCarbo 6 days week

Below are photos of the plants and this is how most of my plants end up :arghh:

019_zpse974614d.jpg

018_zpsa49daf79.jpg

Have just invested in some EI salts from APF but havnt made them up yet..What am I doing wrong :(

Thanks
Trev

This is due possibly to poor flow and definitely to poor CO2. Whatever method of carbon you are implementing, you need to add more of it. If not then you need to reduce the light intensity.

Cheers,

I thought the flow was OK as not only am I utilising the E1501 but also the internal juwel Pump / filter and I am not too keen on upping the Easycarbo for fear of overdosing
How would I reduce the light intensity ?

How would I reduce the light intensity ?
Hi,
on these fixed position lighting set ups you can add floating plants to diffuse some of the light which helps reduce intensity. Alternatively if you don't want floaters, invest in some reflectors with plastic clips. You can then position the reflectors to direct light away from the water surface rather than their intended use of enhancing light entering the tank.
Also in a high tech system the 30l weekly water changes you are currently doing wont be enough in your 180l tank. You need to do at least a 50% water change per week to remove the build up of organic wastes from your plants and fish, which is more like 90l.
Hope this helps.
Nice looking siamensis by the way :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

on these fixed position lighting set ups you can add floating plants to diffuse some of the light which helps reduce intensity. Alternatively if you don't want floaters, invest in some reflectors with plastic clips. You can then position the reflectors to direct light away from the water surface rather than their intended use of enhancing light entering the tank. Also in a high tech system the 30l weekly water changes you are currently doing wont be enough in your 180l tank. You need to do at least a 50% water change per week to remove the build up of organic wastes from your plants and fish, which is more like 90l.

Hi Ady,

I'll try adjusting the reflectors....50% seems a bit excessive on a weekly basis...what about fortnightly ? :)

Trev

You should really think about investing on a proper CO2 kit, it will be much cheaper in the long run too

Hi Paulo,
Just been looking at your Rio Iwagumi tank and am so jealous of the brightness and healthy look of your plants. I do have an 2kg FE with solenoid but
have never used it on 2 points, the first being that my partner moans about the timer she can see poking from the electrical socket so heavens knows what she would
say to see more pipes lol :rolleyes: and secondly because I have always been a bit concerned with the safety aspects of a pressurised system:(
Anyway do you think I could grow Staurogyne Repens or HC Cuba - Hemianthus Callitrichoides with just the EI ferts and Easycarbo ?

Trev

Hi Ady,

I'll try adjusting the reflectors....50% seems a bit excessive on a weekly basis...what about fortnightly ? :)

Trev
Well if you lower lighting significantly, I suppose you could dose less and maybe get away with it, but generally the rule of thumb is 50% per week in a high tech tank. Even at 25% per week it is a significant increase on your current regime, so you may well see improvements....every tank is different and it may work out for you.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Anyway do you think I could grow Staurogyne Repens or HC Cuba - Hemianthus Callitrichoides with just the EI ferts and Easycarbo ?
HC will be very tricky to manage that and your bank balance will be hit too with all that EC, might be worth looking at making your own, much cheaper in the long run also! (careful with the health aspects of it for yourself and family), pressurised will be a much safer road to go in my opinion.

hi guys how much water change should i do, i have 200l with flow machine/wave machine (whole tank has a current). proper substrate. 2 x 30watt T8 lights. i have them on for about 12 hours aday. along with FE c02 on about 1-2 bps. ive had it running a month now, no issues to be honest. water conditions are mint. plants growing great! ive been doing like 30l weekly. :/

Back