• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please identify ( photo )

Before I mess this up big time as I'm messing with some dangours stuff dose this sound right

My tank is 7ft x 24 x 24 = 174 uk gallon
Adding 3% h202 food grade 1044ml to the aquarium.?

Is this going be safe for my discus and will is shift this BBA ?

how long will it be active for in the tank?

You have to do it exactly as it is said. At the end of the thread I quoted, there is a correction in the dose to 2 tbsp to each 10 gallons. I add 6 tbsp to my 30 gallon tank, so it is around 3 ml to each gallon approx. Maximum would be 1044 ml (4 tbsp per 10 gal) but in your case would be 522 ml. That is for H2O2. Plenty, plenty, plenty of flow. Remove the filter media from your filter and run it on water change day. If you have any other powerhead, put it in and run it also. Add H2O2 and keep it running for 15 min. Then do a 50 % water change (with all filters and powerheads running) or more and when tank is filled again add excel at 5 ml to 10 gal, so around 90 ml in your case. Now you can stop all the powerheads and filters. Put the filter media back in and run it as you would do normally.

I do it with fish inside. None has died that I can undoubtedly associate to this treatment. Actually I have 2 ramirezi and I have done this treatment for, at least 3 times, and they are fine. If you want to remove your discus, that is OK. But you can do the treatment with them inside or add them next day if you want to allow for the excel to be inactivated.

Only thing is that you need to be careful with shrimp if you have them (discus and shrimp... I guess you do not have that problem ;););)).

Thanks for this info but what is the excel for. Is this necessary because I don't have plants in the tank

It kills algae. It can be used a liquid CO2 but it is essentially glutaraldehyde which is used for sterilization of surgery material in hospitals. It kills microorganisms in general. Excel is the second punch. H2O2 is the first punch. That is why it is called one-two punch.

Read the thread before doing anything wrong and do it as it is described. As Tom Barr usually says, it is not the method that fails, it is the aquarist failing when following the method. Again, follow it as indicated or be ready to fail.

You only need one bottle for 4 treatments. 90 ml each. Read the post I mentioned please.

Sorry I read it as 900ml.
Thanks for that I'll get that in order seachem flourish excel. I have bought 5ltr of h202

Can I do spot treatment with the h202

Yes, you can. But it is much more dangerous and ineficient than 1-2 punch, in my experience.

Back