• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech. UPDATES!

PM

Hi guys, so this tank started simply because I had it spare and couldn't fit it in my cupboard :lol: so I started out researching about what I'd need for a simple shrimp tank.

This journal follows on from here:
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12285&hilit=simple+shrimp+tank

I have a 54 liter high tech tank, and the last thing I want is another tank that needs loads of maintenance. I've been reading about low tech methods here; http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2817-Non-CO2-methods/page2 and plan to use Tom Barr's method, as I feel he gives the best advice, after finally managing to have an algae free tank myself through reading his scriptures ;)

I chose a very low powered LED light, the unit reads 1.6 Watts. I went for an internal filter as I am squeezing this onto my tiny desk, and a hang on back filter was not an option as I needed it to be silent next to my bed. I am awaiting the plants from Malaysia, and plan to stock cherry shrimp only.

Below is the equipment list, I've included prices as I think it might be useful to someone considering a similar setup. I know it opened my eyes to just how much money I spend on this hobby! :wideyed: all prices include p&p.

Tank:
Clearseal 12x8x8” £21 (Already had)

Filtration & Heating:
Newattino Plus £22
Dennerle Nano Clean £25

Lighting:
Dymax Robot LED £17

Substrate:
Colombo Flora-Base £40 (Enough for my next tank too)
ADA Xingu £32 (Enough for my next tank too)

Hardscape:
Wood £10
Wire mesh £7

Plants:
Anabius nana petite x2 £8
Xmas moss x5 £10
Java fern £7 (Already had)
Round Pelia £5

Total: £204.00

Here's a pic of it waiting for plants: :)

4858432562_fe9b5da5aa_b.jpg

Cheers,
Paul.

Re: PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech.

It just wants some tiny twigs in their and I think you're massively onto a winner!

Cheers, I know what you mean about the twigs, I might experiment, but I really don't think it'll need it when it's planted up!

I just ordered an AquaQube 9W Nano Light frm PlantedBox cos I'm not sure about the colour temp of this LED one, it said on the listing it's meant to be 6000K o_O

6000k it's the same as normal white light, some people call it cool white

Looks like a nice little setup. That Dennerle filter looks like its spot on for what you want, fits in there well. Think I'd go for one of them for a desk-top nano. That wood has got some really interesting shapes in it so works well as a focal point. Great start :thumbup:

looking good. ;) could i ask where you got the actual tank from, as i'm looking for a similar bare tank?

pest control said:
looking good. ;) could i ask where you got the actual tank from, as i'm looking for a similar bare tank?

Here:

http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/clearseal-aquariums.htm

I tidied up the silicone with a razor blade on the front joins. Wasn't that bad anyway TBH and it took HOURS! :crazy:

Hi guys, update as I've planted it up :)

In this pic you can see the result of removing excess silcone :)

4902875062_095174aa86_b.jpg

I didn't take many 'step by step' pics, as TBH I find the whole process rather stressful! Here's a couple.

4902874326_4c3bacc410_b.jpg

4902874474_ab8de57599_b.jpg

As you can see I changed out the Xingu sand for more Flora-base as I wanted a moss foreground.

4902955836_929baf0ba3_b.jpg

4902356329_4558b4c9e3_b.jpg

And here's how it sits on my desk, finished (ish).

4902356473_0828f5bfa2_b.jpg

4902875192_248f27c86f_b.jpg

The round pellia I got appears to be dead, so they are sending more, I've also added the Superfish 9W light from PB, and added frosted perpex to the light, though I still think it's far too bright for low tech, so may in the future add a tinted film to it.

Also I need to sort out the wire mesh on the front left as the wood is leaning on it and pushing the front up. Fishless cycling for three more weeks and the I'll add some shrimp. Also, I've cunningly hidden the heater behind the wood with the lead running behind the filter ;)

I just wanted a low maintenance shrimp tank, but the aquascaper in me is a little disappointed :/ hopefully it will look nicer when grown in more. I am considering a small crypt at the back but wanted to avoid rooted plants for maintenance reasons. Any thoughts appreciated! :D

Re: PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech. (Updated 18/08/10)

Very nice indeed, I really should strip and fix my Optiwhite...

It's going to grow out a charm, I can see that already.

Re: PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech. (Updated 18/08/10)

DAY 20:

Hi :D

I have done some moving around and more planting, and received more Round Pellia and Petite:

4941862616_74c72d149d_b.jpg

Here's a shot with the colours truer to how it looks in real life (have been playing with the settings on my D40x 18-105mm VR :)

4941279313_79fd73594b_b.jpg

I've also ordered ten Sakura shrimp from here: http://www.fraku-aquaristik.de they should arrive on the 8th of September :)

Can't wait!

EDIT: I'm also seeing the first algae starting to grow, any suggestions on dosing regime??

Re: PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech. (Updated 30/08/10)

This is looking fantastic Paul, nice to see a scape wich is dominantly wood, not mini landscape rock or dragon stone.where did you order the plants from??

will you be adding pressurized co2 at all?
would you consider adding floating plants, i think it would suit the tank to have a few peices of Limnobium laevigatum it can grow quite large, so yourll have to trim the smaller bits that grow from the main one and place the it one into your other tank, once the smaller one grows large it would of thrown off a few little shoots again trim of the bigger part. The hanging roots of this plant look great :thumbup:

EDIT: Paul haha

Hahaha, it's Paul ;)

Thanks! All plants are from here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/aquaticmagicuk except for the Mini Java Fern, which I got from this forum in exchange for some xmas moss :)

This ebay seller's customer service is the best I've ever experienced, really good. :thumbup:

so you got all the xmas moss from a member on here? i was tempted to get some moss from aquaticmagic but didnt want a 5p sized half dead portion arriving in 2months.

what was portion size price and quality like on arrival? :D

Portion size was much bigger than I expected, very good IMO, and excellent condition on arrival.

My pellia was dead on arrival, I emailed them and they just sent me some more, which arrived in excellent cond.

I think it took about 2 weeks, definitely not longer to receive anyway. Highly recommended, especially for hardy plants!

Looking good.

See you went with the Sakuras from Fraku. Good choice :)
I also rate the Dennerle nano clean, nice little filter, it is what I use in my nano and am happy with it.

nayr88 said:
This is looking fantastic Paul, nice to see a scape wich is dominantly wood, not mini landscape rock or dragon stone.where did you order the plants from??

will you be adding pressurized co2 at all?
would you consider adding floating plants, i think it would suit the tank to have a few peices of Limnobium laevigatum it can grow quite large, so yourll have to trim the smaller bits that grow from the main one and place the it one into your other tank, once the smaller one grows large it would of thrown off a few little shoots again trim of the bigger part. The hanging roots of this plant look great :thumbup:

EDIT: Paul haha

Ah, just seen the edit!

No I'm not adding CO2. I don't ever want to have to touch it really! All I'll do is top up water, and maybe add a little ferts. I have thought about floating plants, but know they grow too big, I'll think about it, thanks for your tip :)

a1Matt said:
Looking good.

See you went with the Sakuras from Fraku. Good choice :)
I also rate the Dennerle nano clean, nice little filter, it is what I use in my nano and am happy with it.

Thanks :) that's right, took a long time to choose, but i think I've made a good one - I love the look of the bright red, and not that many people seem to be breeding them here, so fingers crossed I will be! The tank is fully cycled now, with the help of some breen bacter ;)

Oh, I also mentioned you to Frank, he sent his regards.

Looks Excellent, Can't wait to see the foreground mature.

Back