• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Pondering it all…

Hi all,
Can we interest you in a temporary pass to the summer tub whilst you wait?
They will be <"very interested">.

frogs-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

If you build it, they will come!

Not long now, we’re on a countdown to July 11th for liner 🎉 🥳 🍾

Froggy heaven awaits! 🐸 🐸 🐸

Enough season left to get the plants established. Getting quite excited to get things rolling.

Frogs have been quite abundant in the veg beds, will be good to give them permanent digs in the garden. Feel bad for turfing them out of the beds temporarily. They loved the summer tub and we all loved seeing them daily:

1688033804903.jpeg

Also had newts here before so hoping for a return of them soon too.

EI dosing the holding tub and doing daily water changes.

1688033378303.jpeg

Lawn has taken a hammering with all the foot traffic and hot weather. Using the dosed water on the grass to get it all happy and healthy again.

Pond plant delivery coming in soon in work so will hopefully be able to pack this tub out and get all the plants in tip top condition before putting them in.

Currently working out flow and circulation. Under strict orders it needs to be quiet with no crashing water. The return will be submersed and thinking of placing the pump underneath to create a gentle gyre.

Also got the ability to hook up four air stones:

1688034391804.jpeg

Combined the pond should be well circulated, with constant surface agitation and good aeration.

Great project @Geoffrey Rea and great to see the wildlife queueing up already for the grand opening 😀. With regards to newts; you mentioned you’ve had these visit before. Did you have to introduce any special type of planting, etc to attract them? Although toads and frogs are common visitors to gardens here, newts seem fairly elusive.

Did you have to introduce any special type of planting, etc to attract them?

Hey @SteveMid , not particularly anything special. Just left bowls of water around the garden for the birds to bathe in, kept them topped up and left the leaf litter etc that fell in the bowls to breakdown.

Life shows up from the decay, the frogs showed up and spawned in a couple of the bowls, then the newts showed up.

Newts eat tadpoles so figure a bowl filled with their favourite meal brought them in. The garden was mainly veg that season so unsure any plant was important, but the beds were watered daily giving damp conditions ideal for an amphibian.

Hi all,
Did you have to introduce any special type of planting, etc to attract them? Although toads and frogs are common visitors to gardens here, newts seem fairly elusive.
Have a look at <"Pond FAQs">, ARC are a really good charity.

I think if you don't get Smooth Newts naturally colonize your pond <"I'd assume that there aren't any near you">. They are terrestrial for most of the year and <"active on warm, wet nights">. When Environmental consultants want to relocate newts they use <"Newt Fencing and Bucket traps">. The newts can't get through the fencing so walk along it until they fall into the sunken bucket.

Before I had a pond I collected slugs and snails in the garden for a year (and repatriated them elsewhere), it made no difference to the number of molluscs, but while I was looking for them I found loads of newts. When the pond filled up newts were already present after a couple of days.
Newts eat tadpoles so figure a bowl filled with their favourite meal brought them in.
They certainly do, so you don't get successful Common Frog breeding in ponds with newts in them.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
It’s so beautiful 😍

1688544542126.jpeg

Finally here, someone pinch me to check that this isn’t a dream 😴 🤏

Was ordered for 23rd May but the prep work for the roads to be resurfaced in the area blocked the permit until now.

Simplicity itself, move from A to B:

1688544889698.jpeg

The fabulous Mr @Siege has very kindly offered to help shift this lot today…

🙌🏼 What a legend 🙌🏼

Neighbours are even taking some for their gardens so we should fit in one skip all things willing 🤞🏻

I think @Siege should get the first swim for his efforts :thumbup:

He’s not even here yet and done two bags already 😂

Maybe just a foot soak if he arrives later than the half way point… 💦 👣 💦

8 hours, gotta be close to the maximum 8 tonnes with it being compacted and baked clay. Topped with compost from the beds that got shut down so it doesn’t scare the driver at pickup 😂

1688583830331.jpeg

Happy days… Liner and plumbing to go 😎

Thank you @Siege it’s been fun 🙏🏽

8 hours, gotta be close to the maximum 8 tonnes with it being compacted and baked clay. Topped with compost from the beds that got shut down so it doesn’t scare the driver at pickup 😂

View attachment 207760

Happy days… Liner and plumbing to go 😎

Thank you @Siege it’s been fun 🙏🏽
I’m sure there’s space for a wafer thin mint…

Last edited:
Topped with compost from the beds that got shut down so it doesn’t scare the driver at pickup 😂
Hide when the driver arrives to pick it up. It’s what I do and it seems to work.

Plants in holding:

1688841391096.jpeg

Tried to go with native species wherever possible but thrown some others in for interest.

1688841485002.jpeg

1688841568737.jpeg

1688841587345.jpeg

Bit of pearling action:

1688841615017.jpeg

1688841631821.jpeg

1688841667282.jpeg

Went with troughs used to provide water for horses:

1688842664302.jpeg

Tallest species can go in these on the 1ft shelf with 15-20kg of ballast in the base to stop it toppling over in the wind:

1688842478930.jpeg

Also had a nice conversation with @Simmo about helping hedgehogs escape the pond should they fall in. These troughs in the corner should make getting out easy should it happen. Do have a resident hedgehog living under the shed:

1688842450712.jpeg

Rest is large baskets:

1688842874219.jpeg

Liner should be delivered on Tuesday and can get everything else where it needs to be. Looking forward to getting everything wrapped up this week 😎

Hedgehogs too :eek: I have never seen one round here. I don't have any frogs either :( I even made "bug homes" yep, no bugs, I also planted some "meadow flower" seeds, none of them either. Many years ago had loads of frogs, but none recently. But I did see a bumble bee the other day, so there is hope yet. :)

Looks fabulous Geoffrey, and those plants appear in rude health! I went for native spp too but fancy a purple lilly and various colours of iris so am straying slightly from the path too 😂

Hedgehogs too :eek: I have never seen one round here. I don't have any frogs either :( I even made "bug homes" yep, no bugs, I also planted some "meadow flower" seeds, none of them either. Many years ago had loads of frogs, but none recently. But I did see a bumble bee the other day, so there is hope yet. :)

Guess the point is to keep providing habitat @martin-green regardless. If it’s there it can be populated in time. Can you plant a decent sized lavender patch? Always seems to work magic. Turn one bumble bee into many bees visiting 🐝 🐝 🐝

Do feel for you mate, our last place only ever seemed to attract wasps, as the insane snail population damaged all the plants, attracting the aphids, which in turn attracted the wasps. Having a beer outside was a very athletic activity 😂

Looks fabulous Geoffrey, and those plants appear in rude health! I went for native spp too but fancy a purple lilly and various colours of iris so am straying slightly from the path too 😂

Thanks @Simmo and enjoying following your progress too. The stone work and plants look brilliant, looking forward to seeing it all grown in.

Ditto on the straying from the path 😂 These projects are for enjoyment too so why not try some species you fancy growing.

K1 Micro media soaking in Potassium permanganate and water:

1688891444193.jpeg

Going to leave this to soak for 36-48 hours, then treat with Seachem Prime and rinse thoroughly before putting in the EazyPod.

For anyone who hasn’t heard of this process before, PP’ing results in three desirable outcomes:

- New media will sink rather than float after treatment.

- It will be clean and sterile at startup.

- It will be scored and roughed up by the process increasing surface area.

Potassium permanganate is an oxidising agent and should only be used with gloves and protective gear. Getting on skin will result in stained skin long term, or on surfaces you’ll get permanent staining so go carefully when using it. It is potentially fatal if swallowed so treat in a safe place in sealed buckets away from children and animals.

You can neutralise the potassium permanganate with hydrogen peroxide, sodium thiophosphate crystals, or simply using Seachem prime if you already have some in. After using any of the above the solution will turn brown and the water can be disposed of safely down your drain. Rinse the media thoroughly with tap water until it runs clear then you’re good to go.

Back