• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rio de Jungle(iro)

t.doyle

Hi all! :)

A wee bit about me.. My name is Tom and I currently study Forensic Science with Biochemistry at university, I have been in the hobby for quite some years now but have mainly kept marines up until now. I also work part time in a fish shop called Acres aquatics, 13th in the country on Practical fishkeeping readers poll! This is my first 'proper' planted tank if you like, so I'm currently setting up my Rio 125 to be a more natural/jungle looking scape and have been SOOO EXCITED to get it up together!

I will be using the entire range of Aquavitro plant as I think there is massive potential with it! At the moment I am not using CO2 injection but flourish excel instead. Although CO2 will most likely be something added on in the near future :woot:

Equipment;
Eheim ecco pro 200
Standard Juwel high lite unit 2x28W (1x Day, 1x Arcadia plant pro) with reflectors
Hydor inline heater
Substrate is Flourite 'Dark'

Got the tank!
IMG_20130429_172559_zps74341911.jpg

Then some foreground plants
IMG_20130504_165927_zpsc7c7aa3d.jpg

But I had to wait for my wood to sink...this took 6 weeks! Apologies for the poor picture. I also had some cuttings of Rotala rotundifolia given from a friend :)
IMG_20130503_210746_zps4a9be8c0.jpg

I've got more pictures but can't find where I put them....

First day after planting...
IMG_20130517_215137_zps1ec20afa.jpg

I'm currently dosing the aquavitro plant range as follows..
Synthesise (nitrogen source) 0.9ml, twice a week
Activate (Phosphorus & Potassium source) 0.9ml, twice a week.
Envy (Micro and trace element supplement) roughly 5ml, three times a week
Propel (Iron source) roughly 3ml, three times a week
Carbonate (kH) roughly 10ml a week after water change
Mineralise (GH) roughly 7ml a week after water change
Premiere (Tap-safe & potassium source) Haven't used yet as only used RO water. But will likely use when I chuck in tap water for evaporation loss.
Flourish excel is dosed at 3ml every day

So far, I am three days in. I've had Rotala rotundifolia grow about 2 cm. My Staurogyne repens is really starting to fill out. Eleocharis sp. 'mini' hasn't done much yet but still alive lol! Hygrophila polysperma has started going going pink at the top and has grown at least 2-3cm in a few days.. So far everything is going very well but it's only the tip of the ice berg I know!

I also have in there a Ludwigia species (not sure which) and Weeping moss (Vesicularia ferriei).

Fish wise there is...
Breeding pair of wild Apistogramma macmasteri
2 x Electric blue rams
11 x Green neon tetra
2 x Cherry barb
3 x cherry shrimp

Fish wise there is... Breeding pair of wild Apistogramma macmasteri 2 x Electric blue rams 11 x Green neon tetra 2 x Cherry barb 3 x cherry shrimp
Just a warning, be careful with dwarf cichlids and shrimps! I had RCS in with my rams and although they didn't get eaten, they were chased an awful lot!:nailbiting:

The idea of my scape was keep it natural looking. I like the whole 'Amano' look but I never think to myself "That looks exactly how it does in the wild". So my scape is more of a picture 'slice' of a tropical river. I didn't spend too long placing my wood but still had some thought about it. The rock on the far left on top of the wood is not in a permanent home! That wood is still floating after 6 weeks (trust me I've tried EVERYTHING)...
My Macmasteri
IMG_20130517_215318_zpsf4fc2a05.jpg
IMG_20130517_215340_zpsf373ff4d.jpg

Just a warning, be careful with dwarf cichlids and shrimps! I had RCS in with my rams and although they didn't get eaten, they were chased an awful lot!:nailbiting:
Ha yeah, I did think it was sketchy but for some reason these 3 shrimp are like 'He-man'...I scooped them out of a tank that had two musk turtles and adult angel fish! They lived in there for about 3 months!

I like how you've gone for a "slice of nature" look; there's nothing like peering into a thick jungle of plants. Congratulations on finding a decent breeding pair of A. macmasteri too, they're beautiful, characterful fish.

I like how you've gone for a "slice of nature" look; there's nothing like peering into a thick jungle of plants. Congratulations on finding a decent breeding pair of A. macmasteri too, they're beautiful, characterful fish.
Thanks :) it's how I like it... It always takes lots of time to make sure I've seen everything! I love it. Yeah not a bad pair for a tenner!

I like to spend ages sat in front of my tank. I actually prefer it if I have to find the fish, rather than them flapping at the glass for food.

A tenner?!! I think you should send the shop owner a basket of fruit :D

I like to spend ages sat in front of my tank. I actually prefer it if I have to find the fish, rather than them flapping at the glass for food.

A tenner?!! I think you should send the shop owner a basket of fruit :D
Well, to be fair I think they are F1's rather than the actual caught fish. But still very lovely!

Back