• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Roof/ceiling Window???

zozo

That's what i'm wondering about.. :) I moved my new scape (stove project) to the dining room. We all know never ever place a tank to close to a uncovered window. But this room has no windows only a ceiling window, (or how do you call that in english??) it's not clear glass but frosted. This window gets no direct sunlight, it's a back room build as a flat roof extension behind the house. That roof is constant shaded pointing north/west.. But all tho it will be diffused there will be daylight, that was the whole purposse of that thing to get any daylight into that room or else it would only have been a dark box.

Now i wonder the tank will be placed somewhat under under it. I can install an extra cover if needed. But are there poeple with experiences in this? :) Is it wise to install a cover straight away and not wait for problems. Or i'm i afraid of nothing and there wont be any problems at all?

I have actualy no idea what to expect. :)

Anybody??

We all know never ever place a tank to close to a uncovered window.
Really? Is this one of the Ten Commandments? I break this rule every day.

Here is past example. Your success with a tank depends on your husbandry skills such as nutrition, flow/distribution, CO2 (if used) and maintenance. Direct sunlight becomes a problem if it is too bright for too long, which is exactly the same as if you were using too much electric light. Merely placing a tank near a window will only contribute to a problem if you are failing in your husbandry skills.

You have a lot of things to worry about regarding your tank. Window light not one of them.
9638487971_a46f6c81ea_b.jpg

Cheers,

Really? Is this one of the Ten Commandments?
Is it? lol.. Ok, good to know, actualy never realy broke that rule.. It was like something you learn from the start and in every book you read. From a time with no forums and very few to ask questions. So i always assumed this was a valid rule i always respected.. Well what do ya know, if i only have known sooner, would have neen different..

Thanks a million Ceg!.. You made my day.. Husbandry is not a problem, my tanks are usualy cleaner than the room they stand in... :)

Awsome tank in that conservatory, btw..

Being near a window in itself is not an issue, its the direct sunlight into it. With a roof light will be very little of the day. If you had the tank in a bay window for example, it could be many hours.

@ceg4048 - amazing tank! Looks like this tank gets no direct light anyway. A lid covers the top, and there is background on the three sides facing out. Is there a journal for that one?

My little rimless open top tank stands 3 feet from a window, with a glass door next to it and about 2 yeards from a window at the front. No direct sunlight. The side window i had to keep the curtains down after a while, because of some diatom and cyano development in the banked up substrate on that side. Now i still have a little bit of that growth which i clean out every week, but it still keeps comming back. Since the door isn't covered. In my experience it's also as Ceg says, husbandry, but the extra light promotes algae development. But now the tank is maturing it gets less.. :)

I had no idea what to expect from an open top tank under a roof window. ANd i wasn't realy into covering that, because it's the only daylight source in the room.

Oh and i have to add, the no direct sunlight is not totaly true. Because that window faces a masive white wall from the farmer next door.. The sun hits that wall all day long, the reflection of that wall is irritating strong, looking at that wall on a verry clear sunny day makes your eyes hurt.
I guess this has a major effect on the tank as well. That's why i pulled the cutain down.. :)

Last edited:
I have a little 30l tank running solely on sunlight(pics in greetings section) and had some algae problems and for me the solution was better husbandry in effect upping wc regime (summertime every 3rd day, winter once a week) and picking any dead leaves etc. out a soon as I see them. I guess it depends on geografi and which window. As painful as wcs are they never hurt the aquarium and solved my issues with using sunlight.

Sendt fra min LG-D620 med Tapatalk

Thats where your white sand comes in handy Martin. :thumbup: I guess my new tank is open top and going to get a lot of daylight from above in the summer. But it will be low tech. Comming to think of it, it might not be a bad idea to only add co2 in this season. Thanks for the inspiration, i'll keep that in mind.

Little update on the roof window and the open top tank which is about straight under it and it's rather bright in the tank.. It's 9 o clock in the morning, sunny day and i do not have any lights switched on above the tank. Didn't know what to expect this summer from a roof window above the tank.. See for yourself how bright filter daylight above an indoor tank actualy is.. :) Can't help the reflections of course it's light all over the place.

DSCF6873.jpg

At this point it looks like i do not realy need any or much extra light in the tank. :) Actualy kinda like it too, a natural day light tank..

Back